Benefits of Poor Pot Maintenance

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
or..........could we incorporate and work with a species natural growing habits? I appreciate the need to do regular removal of "introduced material" which can be detrimental to a trees health. However, I do believe in incorporating some of the species ecological needs while growing in a pot.
Along the PNW coast hemlocks (both mountain and western) grow in a temperate rainforest which provides them with their desired growth conditions......they can tolerate lots of water and in their natural environment they are shallow rooted (usually) in a very (fairly acidic) organic deep humus (forest floor). Like many of other species they have the ability to develop roots from their existing basal roots and lower trunk.
Case in point. Cleaning up the dead needles (and they produce a lot annually) from the soil surface and came across a large number of roots underneath a mat of needles.

image.jpeg
Above shows the mass of needles. Below shows the roots coming from much larger roots. My hope is that they will reach the stone and then travelled down along the stones surface helping to strengthen the tie btwn tree and stone.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom