Bench from a fallen tree

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In one of the winter windstorms I lost a hemlock, probably 60 years old. So I decided to make some use of the trunks. First project was a bench out of a log that I sliced lengthwise.

The reason I decided to do this was that the log had a natural pair of legs from a couple branches on the tree.Only 3 legs.jpg
Only 3 legs.jpg
So I had that one pair of legs, but only one on the near end. I needed to add a 4th leg.
So I bored a hole at a similar angle to the "3rd leg":
Hole bored.jpg
Then I used a limb from the tree and marked the depth of the hole onto the limb:
Leg marked.jpg
Then I cut around the limb at the mark, to a depth of about 3/8". Then I stood the limb on end and used the bit that I bored the hole with, to mark a circle on the end grain of the limb:
Circle on leg.jpg
I chiseled around the mark:
Start chiseling.jpg
Until I got it mostly round:chiseling round.jpg
Then I whittled the end of the limb nice and round, champhering the end for east insertion so it looked like this:
Ready to assemble.jpg
I tapped the new leg into place. Not much nebari at the joint though :) And if I had any pride, I would have fit the bark better so that you couldn't see that gap, but hey, it's outdoor work:New leg.jpg
Fit.jpg
So here's how it looks upright. I'll have to put some sort of finish on it to prevent rot.
Done.jpg
I had to fiddle with the legs to get them settled, and I didn't take my time when I chain-sawed the log down the middle, so it wasn't flat and I had to spend an hour with an electric hand plane.

But its the only one on my block!
CW

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent!

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beauty! Plus hemlock is naturally resistant to rot, I have old hemlock boards 150+ years old. I believe @GrimLore has some nice hemlock planks too!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In one of the winter windstorms I lost a hemlock, probably 60 years old. So I decided to make some use of the trunks. First project was a bench out of a log that I sliced lengthwise.

The reason I decided to do this was that the log had a natural pair of legs from a couple branches on the tree.View attachment 143345
View attachment 143345
So I had that one pair of legs, but only one on the near end. I needed to add a 4th leg.
So I bored a hole at a similar angle to the "3rd leg":
View attachment 143342
Then I used a limb from the tree and marked the depth of the hole onto the limb:
View attachment 143343
Then I cut around the limb at the mark, to a depth of about 3/8". Then I stood the limb on end and used the bit that I bored the hole with, to mark a circle on the end grain of the limb:
View attachment 143339
I chiseled around the mark:
View attachment 143347
Until I got it mostly round:View attachment 143338
Then I whittled the end of the limb nice and round, champhering the end for east insertion so it looked like this:
View attachment 143346
I tapped the new leg into place. Not much nebari at the joint though :) And if I had any pride, I would have fit the bark better so that you couldn't see that gap, but hey, it's outdoor work:View attachment 143344
View attachment 143341
So here's how it looks upright. I'll have to put some sort of finish on it to prevent rot.
View attachment 143340
I had to fiddle with the legs to get them settled, and I didn't take my time when I chain-sawed the log down the middle, so it wasn't flat and I had to spend an hour with an electric hand plane.

But its the only one on my block!
CW
Did you cut the log free hand or use a chainsaw mill?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now if only a tree will fall in the form of a fence!:confused::eek:

I came to look at it again cuz it's so dope!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you everyone for the likes.
Did you cut the log free hand or use a chainsaw mill?
Free hand with a 16" chain saw.

Now if only a tree will fall in the form of a fence!:confused::eek:
@sorce, is that a crack about my cheap plastic fence? It keeps my dogs out of the bonsai patch.

CW

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since this tree blew down in December, I've been secretly hoping that it would throw sprouts from the old trunk, shown below:
Old trunk.jpg
Nothing yet, and I'm not holding my breath, but a part of the tree has been standing up against another and today I noticed pollen buds on it:
Buds.jpg
Amazing!
CW

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool...sort of like giant grafting...with no hope of growth. Nice bench...Mighty Fine!

Top Bottom