Bench build in process

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
I tried following some instructions for a really nice bench I saw, and its all in metric; I did the conversions and realized I needed to customize a bench.

So I drew up some sketches and measured out what I want. I will be updating this thread to show the process. The bench will have two levels, and will measure out to 7 ft long and about 3 to 3.5 ft wide. The height of the legs for the highest level is 3 ft, and the second level will have 2 ft legs. Most of the wood is pine 2x4s, but the tops are made of oak, 1x4 planks, which are 7 ft long. The planks will have about an inch of overhang all around the pine skeleton.

65CD428B-1A02-40AA-B985-9F0E02B917AC.jpeg

These are the 3 ft legs. I sanded them in multiple steps (80 grit; 150 grit; 220 grit; 320 grit). Then I used a torch to slightly char the wood to bring out the grain (and to protect the wood against rot and fire, etc., but it should have been charred much more for that purpose).

Afterwards, I wiped the 2x4s with mineral spirits, and used a black cherry stain and poly sealant.

49C0EED0-6E92-4C3F-8F9B-F89A56E8973E.jpeg

I already finished with the rest of the 2x4s needed for the tall portion of the bench skeleton. I will begin drilling everything together to get the skeleton done, before moving onto prepping the pine for the second level of the bench.

I am considering polishing the poly like you would to a freshly painted car, but I’m itching to start building this thing already.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a good project, and you are taking your time, doing things right by the looks of it.
Can you share the design you saw? Or are you going for a bang & flash display of your finihed project?

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
Sounds like a good project, and you are taking your time, doing things right by the looks of it.
Can you share the design you saw? Or are you going for a bang & flash display of your finihed project?

I wanted to build the following bench, but the metric measurements ended up being a problem.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/building-bench

I drew up my own design with somewhat similar dimensions. My bench would have the third lowest level though, and was made to fit under the roof overhang in my backyard. I’ll post as I accomplish each step to give a somewhat diy guide for others.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks good but it looks like it is not that stable. I would add some angle braces to the legs to help strengthen it.

How are you planning on installing it?

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
It looks good but it looks like it is not that stable. I would add some angle braces to the legs to help strengthen it.

How are you planning on installing it?

It actually sits level and strong to support a person’s weight, but yes, I do see the legs a bit off balance. Phase two will involve building another square frame around the legs about a foot lower, and I will have the frame extend outward to create a second level to the table with additional legs.

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
Like that black cherry stain !

Thank you. My original thought was to do the whole bench in the black cherry stain, but now I’m thinking of doing the table tops with a full Shou Sugi Ban char wih tung oil. What do you guys think?

I was doing a light singe to bring the grain out (after sanding with 80 grit, then 150, 220, and 320), followed by a wipe down with mineral spirits. Then, I applied the stain which is a stain and poly. Once colored well enough, I sanded with 320 once again, and then applied a final coat that was thinned out with mineral spirits. Last step was to apply wood wax with 0000 steel wool, and buff with an old t shirt.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I built a nice outdoor bench table once....it turned out so nice that I was reluctant to actually use it as it should be used. Kept wiping water off immediately. Kept brushing dirt off. Concerned with scratches. Finally got over it....it took awhile....and just used it.

Nice work you’ve done. The color is excellent. Your plan is working. Plan on using it.

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
So I am half way through phase 2, and I did some Shou Sugi Ban on some test wood. Kinda wish I had done the whole table like this, but I’ll save it for the top planks:

8A2F03FC-224E-45BB-A794-FA40B46EC19D.jpeg

Can you tell which piece of wood was sanded before the charring?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just a fyi you'll need to reapply protector to that wood ever 1-2 years. If it's not treated wood or cedar it will rot pretty quick

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you. I definitely intend to keep the wood maintained. It’s really an enjoyable process.

Reactions: GGB

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It actually sits level and strong to support a person’s weight

I'm not so concerned with strength as how stable it will be. It would not take much load to push your bench over.

You could do a few different things. One would be to anchor it to the ground or horizontally to a fence or building. Another would be to place a second bench perpendicular to this one and connect the two together in a L or T configuration. Either option would help keep this bench upright.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not put any of my trees on a bench that spindly...put more than three or four trees that weigh five lbs a piece and in a heavy wind or, heck, even a stiff breeze and that thing is going over, unless you sink those legs a foot into the ground.

I have built monkey pole and platform stands, as well as shelves using plain old deck planking boards. Haven't stained those boards in 15 years.

Reaction score
The position of the feed do suggest you will place it against a wall? I like the finish. Right is sanded?

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm not so concerned with strength as how stable it will be. It would not take much load to push your bench over.

You could do a few different things. One would be to anchor it to the ground or horizontally to a fence or building. Another would be to place a second bench perpendicular to this one and connect the two together in a L or T configuration. Either option would help keep this bench upright.

Actually, there will be a second bench thats one level lower and will be cantelevered-like with additional legs. Phase two photos coming soon

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
The position of the feed do suggest you will place it against a wall? I like the finish. Right is sanded?

Yes, it will be up against a wall. The right one was sanded before the char. Was it noticeable, or did you assume because it was the smaller piece?

Reaction score
Small shadows between the grain on the left one. From a picture a bit hard to tell but i guessed right...

s2kMark

Sapling
Reaction score
Small shadows between the grain on the left one. From a picture a bit hard to tell but i guessed right...

Wow, I’m impressed by your eye. I guess it’s settled that their should be sanding before charring. Thanks!

Top Bottom