Beginning Bonsai Questions

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and to bonsai in general as well. I have always wanted to start bonsai and recently (a few months ago) I was able to finally begin with a very small jade plant. I have many questions regarding pruning, shaping, pots, soil/fertilizer, starting bonsai from seed, and different types of trees for bonsai.

Questions:
- How much pruning is too much? Too little?
- How does a beginner know when to stop pruning?
- What is the most "simple" style to shape and which species works the best with it?
- What species of bonsai is the most recommended to beginners?
- If you repot a tree in winter or offseason, will it die? Will the tree be damaged in any way?
- Can I use a regular pot saucer (terracota or glazed) by drilling drainage holes in the bottom as a pot?
- What is a good place to buy bonsai soil components in the US without ordering online?
- What are the most recomended places to buy soil online?
- What fertilizer to use for bonsai/when to use/how much to use?
- I collected some left over seeds from some pine trees in my backyard with an intention to start them as bonsai. I believe they are Eastern White Pine but I can definetly take a picture of the trees in the morning. Will these trees work as bonsai?
- I placed some old maple seeds (collected 2013) in my fridge to stratify them a week ago. I know they are definetly not Japanese Maple or Trident maple. Is there even a point to use them as bonsai? Will they be successful?
My Jade plant started off as a regular succulent type plant in potting soil, and after I decided to replant it as bonsai, I noticed it had root rot. Since I do not have any bonsai soil I took some gravel/medium sized stones and mixed it with some potting soil. I cut away the rotted roots and put it in some rooting hormone. A week ago, I decided to check up on the roots and it turns out there are many roots. I gave it a moderate root trim and repotted it. Many new leaves have grown when compared to the state it was in before and I believe it is doing much better than when it was just sitting in moist potting soil.
I will take a picture of my Jade plant in the morning for critique and help.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you have not done any research yet on the questions you should start with that. There are tons of resources online about many of your questions.

The stage you are in right now is the try to keep it alive stage. :D

Do you prefer articles to read? Videos? Or forum posts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Tooooooooo many questions to answer in one post.

No No!

One go...

It depends!

I'll do It!

Welcome to Crazy!

Moment.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much pruning is too much?

When It Dies...too much.

Too little?

When it's Still ugly.

How does a beginner know when to stop pruning?

When your hand hurts!

- What is the most "simple" style to shape and which species works the best with it?

Deadwood....any species!

What species of bonsai is the most recommended to beginners?

Ulmus.

If you repot a tree in winter or offseason, will it die? Will the tree be damaged in any way?

Only repot out of season if the current soil is damaging the tree.
(but note...season has a varied definition.)

Can I use a regular pot saucer (terracota or glazed) by drilling drainage holes in the bottom as a pot?

Yes! Great idea!
But it Will take a few years root training to fit a tree so Shallow. (colander)

What is a good place to buy bonsai soil components in the US without ordering online?

Napa Auto parts. Floor-dry, 8822.

What are the most recomended places to buy soil online?

Bonsai Jack.

What fertilizer to use for bonsai/when to use/how much to use?

Liquid Chem, Fish emulsion, or poo cakes.
Fert a lil more than you feel necessary.

Will these trees work as bonsai?
- I placed some old maple seeds (collected 2013) in my fridge to stratify them a week ago. I know they are definetly not Japanese Maple or Trident maple. Is there even a point to use them as bonsai? Will they be successful?

No Dos.

No worries!
Once you get to a place....
You'll get the answers.

Just don't...lol..oh yeah! Don't be Afraid to Ask!

Sorce

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice so far.
I have been doing research on bonsai and for the last few months watching many videos of people just shaping their bonsai and taking care of them. I was definitely in a worse stage before the videos.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Where to prune?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get 5 more of the same, if not ten.
One gets too much attention.

This shrub is little water plant and you can grow cuttings.

Try for health, this shrub can grow and can be cut back.

What do you have around the neighbourhood or countryside?

Try seeds.
Good Luck
Good Day
Anthony

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
have always wanted to start bonsai and recently (a few months ago) I was able to finally begin with a very small jade plant. I have many questions regarding pruning, shaping, pots, soil/fertilizer, starting bonsai from seed, and different types of trees for bonsai.

The answers to your questions vary by plant type a lot, even water and fertilizer, depending on substrate.

You will find this site easy to search for different plants and for quick reference you might try Bonsai4me http://bonsai4me.com/species_guide.html

Welcome, and take your time on this journey ;)

Grimmy

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Local trees are good too. Keeps your house/apartment from filling up with trees during winter.

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
for quick reference you might try Bonsai4me http://bonsai4me.com/species_guide.html
Thanks for the website, it does help quite a bit!

Local trees
What do you have around the neighbourhood or countryside?
In my backyard there are pine, spruce/fir, some type of birch, black walnut, azaleas (idk which type), holly, dogwood, four different trees that I do not know that I think may work for bonsai, and mulberry. There is a park close by so maybe I can get some cuttings off the trees. Some of my neighbors have Japanese maple in their yards but I don't really think cutting a branch off of some person's tree without asking is a good idea. I can post pictures of the trees if anyone is wondering what they are.

This shrub is little water plant and you can grow cuttings.

Try for health, this shrub can grow and can be cut back.
IMG_0016_LI.jpg
Is this a good spot to cut? I will plant the cuttings.

bzb12345

Seedling
Reaction score
In my backyard there are pine, spruce/fir, some type of birch, black walnut, azaleas (idk which type), holly, dogwood, four different trees that I do not know that I think may work for bonsai, and mulberry. There is a park close by so maybe I can get some cuttings off the trees. Some of my neighbors have Japanese maple in their yards but I don't really think cutting a branch off of some person's tree without asking is a good idea. I can post pictures of the trees if anyone is wondering what they are.
I forgot to add that there is also an apple tree.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bzb12345 ,

To be frank I would leave that poor thing to grow ----------- Look up on Google for an excellent example of it
as a Bonsai.

Cuttings ------------ can be 1/2 an inch or 1 inch or 1.5 inches or 2 inches.
So if yous ask nicely, I am sure someone will allow you three cuttings - example - maple.
Make sure it can be trained as a Bonsai --------- do a Google for more images.

Read up on how to do cuttings ---------- tray / soil / rooting powder.

Welcome to the Family, as long as you are willing to research Folk here will happily help.
Good Day
Anthony

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am new to the forum and to bonsai in general as well. I have always wanted to start bonsai and recently (a few months ago) I was able to finally begin with a very small jade plant. I have many questions regarding pruning, shaping, pots, soil/fertilizer, starting bonsai from seed, and different types of trees for bonsai.

Questions:
- How much pruning is too much? Too little?
- How does a beginner know when to stop pruning?
- What species of bonsai is the most recommended to beginners?
- If you repot a tree in winter or offseason, will it die? Will the tree be damaged in any way?
- Can I use a regular pot saucer (terracota or glazed) by drilling drainage holes in the bottom as a pot?
- What is a good place to buy bonsai soil components in the US without ordering online?
- What are the most recomended places to buy soil online?
- What fertilizer to use for bonsai/when to use/how much to use?
- I collected some left over seeds from some pine trees in my backyard with an intention to start them as bonsai. I believe they are Eastern White Pine but I can definetly take a picture of the trees in the morning. Will these trees work as bonsai?
My Jade plant started off as a regular succulent type plant in potting soil, and after I decided to replant it as bonsai, I noticed it had root rot. Since I do not have any bonsai soil I took some gravel/medium sized stones and mixed it with some potting soil. I cut away the rotted roots and put it in some rooting hormone. A week ago, I decided to check up on the roots and it turns out there are many roots. I gave it a moderate root trim and repotted it. Many new leaves have grown when compared to the state it was in before and I believe it is doing much better than when it was just sitting in moist potting soil.
I will take a picture of my Jade plant in the morning for critique and help.

Loads of questions for us to answer in one go. So you need some general references to study.

Read EVERYTHING at this link then read it again. Then buy some stuff from him. Brent is one of the most knowledgeable, kind and just one of the best people in Bonsai:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

Here is another gold mine:
http://bonsai4me.com/bonsai_basics.html

Watch all of these:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter

OH and take Collin Lewis' wiring course (he is a true master and has put this up for free)
https://www.craftsy.com/gardening/classes/bonsai-wiring-essentials/35341

That will get you started there are a ton more resources. However, this will get you some basics.

Reaction score
^^^^ yes very true would be exspensive and waste of a good tree. But what I find that works for me is that, say you have a really nice Elm for example, cost you $150+, really nice looking and it's big. You would hate to lose it by experimenting and anyone would. So what you do is go to your local nursey and get the same species in a seedling or pre bonsai. Both will be cheap and worth spending money on or losing money on to experiment if you really want to truly learn the ways of bonsai. Anyways you use that tree as your guinea pig. Cut leaves and see how they grow back, put it in the sun certain times of the day see how it reacts, wire branches see how the branches take, etc...... then once you see what works use your knowledge on your bigger tree. Although every individual tree of the same species is different in some slight ways they will all basically react the same. So when I first stared out I'd use my little guy to teach myself clips & grow methods, growing rates, ferts, and even sun sensitivity. Hey everyone has there own ways of doing things but this worked for me. No matter which way you do things as long as your trees are nice looking and thriving your doing right. Good luck to you!!! BONSAI ON!!

Top Bottom