Beam me up.............Microscopic

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Picked up this taperless Hornbeam yesterday from a guy semi local. He has another one that spoke to me. That one has pretty good taper and root spread was pretty even too. I might take that one later this year too lol! This one stands at around 12" from soil to top of chop. He collected the tree last spring and recommend I leave it in the container another year since they're more sensitive with rootwork then their Asian and European counterpart. I don't know if that's true but I'll take his word for it. Looking at the last pic, I would have left that chopped branch to grow as second trunk. Anyone agree? I like this one cause the nebari has a even root spread already. And the trunk has a natural lean and feel to me. I'm seeing this tree as a 24"+ tree. What do you guys think? This is my first (but not last) Hornbeam. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, don't mind the discoloration at the base. I watered it down a little to peek at how far the root extend. Looks like it might reach as far as the end of the pot!
Hornbeam1.jpgHornbeam2.jpg
Hornbeam3.jpgHornbeam4.jpg
Hornbeam5.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IF still alive at end of summer will look very different/much better. Let grow, work branches and will have very nice tree within 5 years;).

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks ya'll.

I heard these are easy as elms. Almost bulletproof. I hope so. It's throwing buds randomly along the trunk, mostly around the base of branches and cut points. I'm just anxious to see the leaf size lol.

This one should be fun.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would love to have that tree as my own. I wouldn't call it taperless, though obviously it is somewhat lacking in taper. I think once the apex is grown out and the rest of the tree fleshed out, it will make a fine bonsai.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for encouraging words @miker. After the first two watering, I was like, it ain't stayin in this mud brick!:mad: Since the buds are just turning color, I figure should be safe to bareroot. Man, whats under the hood is sad. But I read these guys are pretty robust, AND at least the buds are moving so that's a good sign. Good thing it was out of the mud.
AHB_2018_1.jpg

It's liking the better soil. It's not summer yet but I still water twice a day. And it's getting some morning sun and shade rest of the day. Those lower leave are to try to close a small wound.
AHB_2018_2.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope it works out for you. I like it.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It did OK last year, but I should have put it in a slightly deeper and wider container. I popped it in a slightly larger pot around a month ago when the buds where about to open. No root pruning or soil removed. I would like to make a tree twice as tall, about 24". Should I selective prune the two lower branches so the apex have all the leaves to grow taller? Or is that not now Hornbeams work? No pruning at all and let it get tronger first?
4.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It did OK last year, but I should have put it in a slightly deeper and wider container. I popped it in a slightly larger pot around a month ago when the buds where about to open. No root pruning or soil removed. I would like to make a tree twice as tall, about 24". Should I selective prune the two lower branches so the apex have all the leaves to grow taller? Or is that not now Hornbeams work? No pruning at all and let it get tronger first?

Your first priority should be to get that trunk scar to close... so let it grow and get strong - particularly at or above the scar.

Branches below the scar will have minimal impact, so if you want to prune or remove them, feel free!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your first priority should be to get that trunk scar to close... so let it grow and get strong - particularly at or above the scar.

Branches below the scar will have minimal impact, so if you want to prune or remove them, feel free!
I swear I read somewhere, or heard from a friend's uncle's second cousin's grandfather that scars this large will never close on a Hornbeam. Or not for a coupe generations. Should I believe the grandfather?

Do hornbeams behave the same way as, say a Trident? Where if you cut a lower branch leaving no live branch up toward the scar, that side might die off or never make another bud? There's enough deadwood already. I would hate to see one side totally gone.

Aside from that, This tree will need a lot of growing and healing to do.

Side note: I hadn't realized my previous post is almost exactly one year from my post #6 when it was just leafing out. Man it has gotten bushy!:D:cool:

Top Bottom