Bargain projects

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A Snip it of info from @rockm from 2010 on another thread. Getting quite excited about the Dawn now :)

"Treat it as a deciduous tree--as it IS a deciduous tree.

I'd eliminate the branches completely, down to the trunk--carving out the wounds to allow for thick callus tissue that these produce. They are completely unsuitable (and mostly unbendable) for a new apex. They will also look ridiculous if bent into a new apex...

I'd wait until buds start popping before refining the primary trunk cut. Choose a bud near the top and in a position that complements the roots before re-cutting at an angle away from the new apex bud.

Dawn redwood, like bald cypress, are pretty tough when in comes to pruning.

and FWIW, cutting branches on conifers is not the issue. Branches can be removed completely...even the lower ones. However, you cannot remove all green growth from conifers, as their needles act as "sap drawers" on limbs and twigs. If you cut all the green off of pine, it dies. That doesn't happen to deciduous conifers, though. Since they shed their needles naturally, they can be pruned as deciduous trees--all green growth can be pruned off and will be replaced...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010"

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The last tree you have looks like a Abies procera to me, aka noble fir. Nobles are native to my area and identifiable by hockey stick-shaped needles, among other characters. I wasn't aware they were common in landscape plantings, so it may be another for species. I can only identify those native here and the balsam fir, but there are many others around the world.

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh I was going to suggest since the trunks are all so slender, either stick them in the ground for a time and try training them that way (depends if flexible), Or make a nice mixed species forest planting. The dawn redwood might not fit with the rest, but the cedrus specimen and the fir all look similar enough to me to be a match.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The last tree you have looks like a Abies procera to me, aka noble fir. Nobles are native to my area and identifiable by hockey stick-shaped needles, among other characters. I wasn't aware they were common in landscape plantings, so it may be another for species. I can only identify those native here and the balsam fir, but there are many others around the world.

Yes looks along those lines, thanks.

No multi planting.. Will begin in spring getting them in good soil, into boxes or baskets and reducing them.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So popped back to the little nursary today, and glad to find my hunting eyes are well attuned. There was not much else there worth getting, but hidden behind a hedge was a few bits I had missed, that included these two Alnus. Fiver each.. worth a punt. The bigger one is approx 6-7" at the base.

IMG_20171026_233649.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice fat trunks on the alders. Alders are not super common as bonsai, but have been used. I recall seeing a few images of alders at bonsai shows.

They will have large leaves, they should reduce, but won't get as small as an elm for example. They will reduce to a size good for medium and larger size bonsai. In terms of handling the leaf size, look to the Tilia species, the size and reduction will be similar.

They may also have the habit of producing suckers from the roots. Easy to manage, just prune them as they appear. Don't leave them more than a season or two, as they will compete with the older trunk for resources from the roots.

Early spring is a good time for the repot and chop low. So think about what size tree you want, and chop to a height about one third or less of your final vision for tree size.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice fat trunks on the alders. Alders are not super common as bonsai, but have been used. I recall seeing a few images of alders at bonsai shows.

They will have large leaves, they should reduce, but won't get as small as an elm for example. They will reduce to a size good for medium and larger size bonsai. In terms of handling the leaf size, look to the Tilia species, the size and reduction will be similar.

They may also have the habit of producing suckers from the roots. Easy to manage, just prune them as they appear. Don't leave them more than a season or two, as they will compete with the older trunk for resources from the roots.

Early spring is a good time for the repot and chop low. So think about what size tree you want, and chop to a height about one third or less of your final vision for tree size.

Cheers Leo, that's the plan :)

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cheers Leo, that's the plan :)

Hi Victorim,
I don’t know whether you want the extra plants from doing any air-layers but if you are planning to trunk-chop the dawn redwood down to 30-40 cm you could air-layer top off first (eg. 2 for the price of 1 etc).
Many will disagree with me here as air-layering just for having more trees to work with is not their idea of “air-layering trees for good trunk section” etc.
As @rockm says, treat as deciduous as they grow wherever you chop them.
My 2 cents worth, especially like the Cedrus libiana?
Charles

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Victorim,
I don’t know whether you want the extra plants from doing any air-layers but if you are planning to trunk-chop the dawn redwood down to 30-40 cm you could air-layer top off first (eg. 2 for the price of 1 etc).
Many will disagree with me here as air-layering just for having more trees to work with is not their idea of “air-layering trees for good trunk section” etc.
As @rockm says, treat as deciduous as they grow wherever you chop them.
My 2 cents worth, especially like the Cedrus libiana?
Charles

Cedrus Libiana is my best guess. Slow chase chops on these. Dunno about layering the dawn.. have time to ponder it though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Dawn Redwood and Alder will most likely respond well to air layering when done in spring or summer. It may take more than 12 months, but it could happen quickly, say 3 months.

Cedrus is not known to air layer, at all. Don't bother trying the technique on them.

In general if a tree can be propagated by cuttings, it can be air layered. If it is known to be difficult or impossible from cuttings, it will not air layer.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dawn Redwood and Alder will most likely respond well to air layering when done in spring or summer. It may take more than 12 months, but it could happen quickly, say 3 months.

Cedrus is not known to air layer, at all. Don't bother trying the technique on them.

In general if a tree can be propagated by cuttings, it can be air layered. If it is known to be difficult or impossible from cuttings, it will not air layer.

And layering cedrus was one of the first things I looked up on the trip home... Sods law.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's the prep on three of these:

The bigger of the two Alder was chopped and sealed a while ago, root work today. Old and pot bound, thick wood roots filling the nursary pot drainage. Had to cut away the pot, lots of fun, even the reciprocater came into play. Sorry no working pics but about 2 hours later it was in is new container.
20180216_222713.jpg

The Dawn. Again chopped some time ago, and repotted a few days ago. What I will say is how nice dawn roots are to work. Like butter easy.
20180216_222537.jpg

And last one of the cedars.. top sniped and dead branches cleared. This wasn't in the prime of health anyway, tucked away in long grass In the nursary, but this was the worst roots I've seen yet. Spiralling, choking and fused. I wasn't going to basicly bare root this but it was so fucked it was an all in play. We'll see if it has the will to live :/
20180216_222912.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cedars need serious sun ASAP. Weak down low. Last tree is true fir Abies. Do not believe Noble but no help otherwise;). May have been to impatient too drastic butcher job of Cedars!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Picked up 3 maples.. £6.50 each!.. Be rude not to.. The smaller two are 'Kotohime'. The third is unknown. Twigging and buds are small and I cant see a graft on it. The Koto's grafts arnt bad but probably will layer off after they have bulked up.
20180222_165213.jpg

Top Bottom