Bargain projects

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was out and about today and traveled to a "mom n pop" nursery not too far away I clocked on google maps. Lovely mad old guy, telling me for the last number of years they focus on flower shows and apologizing for the upkeep of his areas. Kept telling him its no problem its ideal for me :) Anyways, long story short, he only wanted £5 a pop for these! Told him i`ll be back.

So we have a dawn red wood, uncommon in any sort around here so:
IMG_20171021_190632.jpg

Two Cedars (Lebinon?):
IMG_20171021_190936.jpg
IMG_20171021_191113.jpg

And the forth I`m not sure on.. ID would be appreciated :) looks like spruce of some sort.. or fir..
IMG_20171021_191332.jpg

Foliage close up:
IMG_20171021_191344.jpg

What do reckon? love bargains :p New species again so back to research..

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice haul! That dawn redwood you can chop down the height, they are mad growers. Like @Cadillactaste said, those cedars look like literati material. That last one looks like a fir(flat needles) and could be a convincing alpine tree. Definitely a score for the prices!

Aye I thought that, but not seen fir so dense and I cant see "suckers" attaching the needles. Need to pull a one and have a better look. Nice to know you can chop redwood.. first time I've seen one in the flesh so any info has been skimmed :p

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
#4 wouldn't be hemlock of some sort, would it?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Was out and about today and traveled to a "mom n pop" nursery not too far away I clocked on google maps. Lovely mad old guy, telling me for the last number of years they focus on flower shows and apologizing for the upkeep of his areas. Kept telling him its no problem its ideal for me :) Anyways, long story short, he only wanted £5 a pop for these! Told him i`ll be back.

So we have a dawn red wood, uncommon in any sort around here so:
View attachment 164611

Two Cedars (Lebinon?):
View attachment 164612
View attachment 164613

And the forth I`m not sure on.. ID would be appreciated :) looks like spruce of some sort.. or fir..
View attachment 164614

Foliage close up:
View attachment 164615

What do reckon? love bargains :p New species again so back to research..
The last one is a fir of some sort. Is the foliage soft to the touch? If yes it is a Fir. Nice finds all of them.

One of the Cedars appears to have some fuzzy stuff growing on the trunk? Tell us about that stuff.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The last one is a fir of some sort. Is the foliage soft to the touch? If yes it is a Fir. Nice finds all of them.

One of the Cedars appears to have some fuzzy stuff growing on the trunk? Tell us about that stuff.

Yes soft to the touch.

The moss? Need to water blast and toothbrush clean.. and give them all a good fungal spray.

Cheers Vance.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes soft to the touch.

The moss? Need to water blast and toothbrush clean.. and give them all a good fungal spray.

Cheers Vance.
Don't put it into the I'll do it later category, you need to do it asap. It is possible it could be dwarf mistletoe and that stuff is a dangerous parasite.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aye I thought that, but not seen fir so dense and I cant see "suckers" attaching the needles. Need to pull a one and have a better look. Nice to know you can chop redwood.. first time I've seen one in the flesh so any info has been skimmed :p
Nice finds! Dawns are pretty much bullet proof here in my zone but I'm not sure how well they do in your area. I have one that I've cut back hard every year for the last three years and by the end of Summer you wouldn't even know it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks like a Nordman Fir, especially the way the needles cover the branches but maybe its a cultivar of it. It would also be common to Europe so that's my guess haha

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice, I like these starters. Today spent with cleaning (checking wires and pruning) of subtropicals that weren't pruned all the season and went to the winter quarters. Acquired like these yours, but I'm very pleased with their development.:)

Top Bottom