Bare root seedlings

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Matt is in Japan but should be back soon. I asked him to hold on shipping my seedlings until the temps stabilize. We are looking at 75 degrees here on Thursday and I expect buds to be poppnig left and right after this week. Then looking for a freeze to knock everything back!
Good idea! I have mine in the refrigerator and they seem to be doing pretty well. The closer we get to spring the more we will have to worry about that risk!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to continue on this thread because a lot of the information above is applicable...but I still have a question.

I'm putting in an order for bare-root seedlings from my state's dept. of conservation affiliated nursery (2.5 hours away) and I can choose which week I want them shipped between mid-February and early May.

What is the optimal time to ship and receive BR seedlings? Does it make a difference if we are talking about pines vs. deciduous?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm going to continue on this thread because a lot of the information above is applicable...but I still have a question.

I'm putting in an order for bare-root seedlings from my state's dept. of conservation affiliated nursery (2.5 hours away) and I can choose which week I want them shipped between mid-February and early May.

What is the optimal time to ship and receive BR seedlings? Does it make a difference if we are talking about pines vs. deciduous?

Optimal time for bare root deliver is one day after your last hard frost. Most growers request their average last frost date.

Top Bottom