Bald Cypress from Root Cuttings?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is anyone able to confirm if Bald Cypress will propagate via root cuttings (the way you can with Elm Malus other species)?
I just repotted a BC and have a few cool root cuttings that I'd love to try growing out, if it's possible with BC.

Yes I tried as well.

No such luck..

I have an old Jack Kramer book with some surprise species that this is possible.

I've found it is possible with NA Prunus, as well.

That's a hard no... If that was possible you would be getting shoots coming out of the BC's knees in the wild.

That's a hard no... If that was possible you would be getting shoots coming out of the BC's knees in the wild.
If we get shoots out of knees then BC would be a strong invasive species. It grew well enough with seeds from cones alone.

But…. I wonder if you can graft onto a knee 🤔
Tried twice but didn't take any picture because it was done before my bonsai interest started. The graft healed OK and grew a bit after the thread graft was cut from the branch. However, when the knees were cut from the mother trees, everything died! Not sure what I did wrong. It appears the tissue in the knees don't support the xylem transport very well up and down the knees.

Interesting…. Maybe it’s something you would have to gradually separate over the course of a season. Giving it time to direct the sap where it needs to go.

Tried twice but didn't take any picture because it was done before my bonsai interest started. The graft healed OK and grew a bit after the thread graft was cut from the branch. However, when the knees were cut from the mother trees, everything died! Not sure what I did wrong. It appears the tissue in the knees don't support the xylem transport very well up and down the knees.
FASCINATING!...And makes perfect sense.

If the knees are all non Maristem-containing points of collenchyma and sclerenchyma cells after hardening.

As apposed to parenchyma...

Then the graft would grow, as much potentiation as existed in an around the graft ITSELF...

THEN would die trying to push the NEXT set of growth.

There was a group of people who made some. It's been so long ago...I can't remember who all. To direct you into getting guidance. Sorry. But...there was a club that did them. But...my brain is foggy on whose club it was.
It's all good. I have done it before but probably harvested them in haste and they die. Proof of concept is all we need.

I was skeptical of grafted BC knees, but have since seen a couple that are working into pretty good trees as time goes by. I first saw this one about ten years ago. The photo is from three or four years ago (thanks Redwood Ryan). It's doing pretty well.

Attachments

• kneegraft.jpg
    kneegraft.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 20
I was skeptical of grafted BC knees, but have since seen a couple that are working into pretty good trees as time goes by. I first saw this one about ten years ago. The photo is from three or four years ago (thanks Redwood Ryan). It's doing pretty well.
The only issue I see from grafted knees is the nebari. All the knees I have seen have a straight through formation showing that the knee formed in the middle of a root. As a result, one side has a thick root and the other side is thin. There are no other roots coming from the knees. This means that we will have to some way form the entire nebari to make such tree look good. In the end, this type of tree is more like a novelty tree. The top will look very interesting but the bottom will have development challenge.

Well thanks for all the feedback everyone, though it's a disappointment that BC don't grow from root cuttings, but good to know.

Back
Top Bottom