Balanced fertilizer for ficus?

mrmd101

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey all. I have a ficus religiosa and ficus benghalensis both planted back in November. Just looking for a balanced fertilizer and was wondering if you all can recommend specific brands. Cost isn't really an issue. Thank you in advance!

I'm in zone 10b. I've been switching off between osmocote plus and miracle grow on all my trees for 5 years or so now and they are all healthy. I don't use any during the rainy season because it seems like it just gets washed away and everything grows like crazy anyhow. I would be more willing to try some type of organic fertilizer but I've got enough problems with fruit rats and other wildlife I don't want to attract them to my yard any more than they already are.

Please note that in fertilizer terms 'balanced' is NOT the same as equal ratios. Balanced fertilizer has all the major nutrients in the correct ratios for plant growth - around 5-1-3 or any multiples thereof is how plants actually use nutrients. 10-10-10 and other equal formulations are made for misinformed consumers rather than the best for plants. Because plants cannot use the nutrients in those ratios much is just wasted.
Ficus are gross feeders so they do not care where or how they get their nutrients. I have also never met one that can read so they don't care what's on the packet either. All those things are to satisfy the growers, not the trees.

I have used the above mentioned osmocote slow release as well the past few years which has worked fine.

I also have used plant-tone in satchels and am trying plant tone in baskets this year. I am also trying the miracle organic granules in baskets this season.

Back
Top Bottom