Azalea dumped in this field?

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If the flowers are more red in appearance, it may be the variety 'Baden Baden'. If the flowers appear more pink, it also resembles the variety 'Winsome'.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, I love it! I am go glad you found it and can appreciate it! Even if it's not very good bonsai material it can be very lovely in your yard! What a nice find!

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Looking at earlier photos, perhaps a 3 trunk group or clump style might work. Or even a 5 trunk clump, each trunk would have to be trained to look more tree like. Heights would have to vary, with some trunks being 2 thirds the height of the main, and the smallest 1 or 2 trunks being one third the height of the main tree.

Obviously if you went for a single trunk, the largest diameter trunk would be the obvious choice.
Yes, in this case, a lot would end up on the compost heap, or in a bed or tray as cuttings to be rooted. They do root moderately easily, for what it is worth.

Thanks Leo, great advice on the trunk thickening. I was thinking of a clump style. I will trim it back moderately when the flowers start to go and leave it for the rest of the year. Hopefully next winter i should be back in UK and have a garden sorted somewhere. Nice advice on the white screening. Will definitely do this!

Are the leaves known to reduce much on rhodies? I guess these dwarf specimens are already reduced significantly from their woodland cousins.
Most appreciated

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
In the past I have had very good experiences transforming smaller leaf Rhodes in few short seasons to wonderful Spring show Cascades - one was 3 foot from the lip of the pot :p

Grimmy
Wow. That fast. Takes time with the plant daily though right? Can't wait to get this out next year and get it into a training pot once back in UK with new garden :0)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh, I love it! I am go glad you found it and can appreciate it! Even if it's not very good bonsai material it can be very lovely in your yard! What a nice find!
Poly tunnel going in here soon so will have cuttings. Nice flowers, I reckon I can get a full canopy next year with the right pruning :) I sure the vibrant colour this year is partly thanks to ericaceous compost with slow release fertiliser in it. I tried this with bougainvillea before and the flowers went from pink to red after repotting.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Leo, great advice on the trunk thickening. I was thinking of a clump style. I will trim it back moderately when the flowers start to go and leave it for the rest of the year. Hopefully next winter i should be back in UK and have a garden sorted somewhere. Nice advice on the white screening. Will definitely do this!

Are the leaves known to reduce much on rhodies? I guess these dwarf specimens are already reduced significantly from their woodland cousins.
Most appreciated

Leaves will reduce, I'm uncertain about how much. Probably will reduce about 50%, but you won't get the 90% reduction you can get with Satsuki. Branch ramification is key for getting smaller leaves.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
By the way, I would never completely defoliate to try to force leaf reduction, doing so could seriously weaken the tree, and if tree is already weak, could be fatal.

Partial defoliation could work, but I've never tried it on a Rhodie, nor on an azalea.

Top Bottom