Are Variegated Plants Frowned Upon?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was just wondering if veregated plants are frowned upon in shows like grafted trees (except for JWP)? I just realized I have never seen one in any books or local shows.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was just wondering if veregated plants are frowned upon in shows like grafted trees (except for JWP)? I just realized I have never seen one in any books or local shows.
As I see it, the issues with variegated plants as bonsai is that the foliage stands out too starkly compared to the rest of the tree, and they tend to not be as responsive to bonsai technique due to relative lack of vigor as compared to the non-variegated tree.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The one that I particularly like are the variegated Chinese elms that @Bonsai Nut posted pictures of.
Is that the one that the edges of the leaves look "frosted"?
I was just thinking about that tree today.
CW

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
As I see it, the issues with variegated plants as bonsai is that the foliage stands out too starkly compared to the rest of the tree, and they tend to not be as responsive to bonsai technique due to relative lack of vigor as compared to the non-variegated tree.
Yah, I agree. Of course there are exceptions. It's probably easier to get away with that in deciduous than juniper.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't believe there are any ''rules'' against variegated leaves. Generally I think Dave's comments really sum up the problem. The vigorous growing cultivars with BOLD variegation, tend to be visually unbalanced for traditional bonsai display. The key with display is that the leaves, trunk, nebari, pot, color of the pot, and any companion piece or scroll all make nearly equal demands for attention. The eye should be smoothly guided by subtle cues to see the whole tree, to notice the age, to notice the accent plants or pieces that set the time and place of the display, and then to draw your attention back to the whole tree. Boldly variegated leaves hold the attention of the eye too much. I have seen some variegated trees that look like they are in bloom at first glance.

But like the chinese elm Mike mentioned, a thin, subtle but regular variegation can be quite attractive. Also bold on bold works, I have seen Bougainvillea 'Raspberry Ice'' displayed in full glorious bloom, the shocking electric pink-red-purple flowers above a wild, vivid cream and green cloud of foliage. With a strong beefy trunk, this was a show stopping bonsai. Nothing subtle about it, and it was displayed boldly. I would hate to be the exhibitor in the display next to the Raspberry Ice, my dull shohin juniper would hardly get noticed at all.

The Chinese use a number of variegated species for their Penjing, Serissa being the group most commonly available in North America.

Sometimes if the tree has well developed foliage pads, the variegation can give the impression of direct, bright sun beams on the canopy of a tree. A sunshine scene, so to speak.

But sadly many variegates, even when subtle enough, often are slower growing and do not respond to bonsai techniques as rapidly as their normal counterpart. There is a delightful variegated Ficus benjamina, that sadly grows too slowly for my less than ideal situation for ficus. My environment is already sub-prime for Ficus, and my conditions are not good enough to get good growth on the variegated Benjamin Ficus.

I have seen the variegated juniper used, the cream color parts look almost like a burst of flowers or something against the dark green. With junipers and pines, most of the variegated cultivars the variegation is temporary, vivid in spring, fading to normal by end of the summer. Some Pines have yellow that shows only in winter. These all can be attractive. No reason to not try to work with them. For styling trees where the variegation is temporary, just ignore the variegation. The end result will either look good, or if it is too bold or misplaced, merely waiting until later in the year solves the problem.

A number of Hinoki are golden colored, and some are variegated. Again, these patterns tend to be temporary, most vivid in spring, fading out by summer. Some the yellow reappears in winter. If a tree is uniformly golden, versus variegated, I think it often is easier to work with as bonsai, as the effect is general over the whole tree, so it doesn't stop the eye at one point. Similar with red colors in the leaves.

Japanese maples, for bonsai the highly colored leaves are considered a plus. Leaves that show red, or pink, or white, or yellow with various amounts of green are highly sought after.

I think in general the more regular the pattern, the more likely the variegation can work as bonsai, the more subtle the pattern, the better it can work.

But there are no rules. If you like it, try it.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Typically, variegated varieties were originally sports of solid colored plants. And this never (or rarely) occur in nature. So, the Japanese use the plain non-variegated versions as they would be more “natural”.

None of that applies to the blooms of satsuki azalea, however!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's now my favorite tree name by far!
Killer!

Neither one keeps the white margin for the entire summer. It starts very bright and noticeable in the spring, and fades over the course of the year. By the end of the summer the leaves are completely green.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you like them try it, I'm all about New species. Sometimess it doesn't work out but sometimes it does and Then your a trend setter. Just know that variagted are weaker trees due to the lack of green chlorophyll in the white leaves,

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just think they look "sickly" most of the time. To each his own.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Variegated ficus are really nice, so are Schefflera.

Most others don't adapt to bonsai as well.

Some like the odd leaves, some don't.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To be honest...I wish I knew of this tree mentioned above. The inspiration...that brought on this thread.

That said...when I first started...I recall threads so against them. Now, seeing ones less strict. I find that interesting in and of itself. ?

Would love to see some photos...will check google image.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just think they look "sickly" most of the time. To each his own.

Here's an interesting un-named one... I call this one "aureum" because of the yellow foliage and the yellow margin on the leaves. It has really small dwarf leaves... but every now and then it will throw a branch that has full-sized leaves, which I prune off. I'm certain if I took one of those full-sized ones and planted it as a cutting, the entire tree would have large leaves. This particular cultivar holds the yellow color and leaves all summer... which is why I prefer it to some of the other variegates which fade.

aureum.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an interesting un-named one... I call this one "aureum" because of the yellow foliage and the yellow margin on the leaves. It has really small dwarf leaves... but every now and then it will throw a branch that has full-sized leaves, which I prune off. I'm certain if I took one of those full-sized ones and planted it as a cutting, the entire tree would have large leaves. This particular cultivar holds the yellow color and leaves all summer... which is why I prefer it to some of the other variegates which fade.

View attachment 178425
Have you noticed if these elms aren't as vigorous as other green elms.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I left a really nice variegated seagrape (Coccoloba uvifera) behind in Florida, which was striking. I was always on the fence about whether to train it as a bonsai, due to the large leaves, though I have this species used as bonsai before

Top Bottom