Are these webs OK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theta, Oct 12, 2017.

1. theta

theta Sapling

This morning was very foggy and damp, I went outside and found these little webs on some of my trees. I see these webs on a lot of shrubs in the area and they usually just last for the morning, then go away.

It's not a spider mite infestation is it?

IMG_20171012_084002.jpg

Paintby#'s likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. GrimLore

GrimLore Imperial Masterpiece

Looks like the doing of young funnel spiders to me, harmless here. Here spider mites would look far more like a tiny cotton ball. I am not familiar with a lot of species though so I will be interested in other responses.

Grimmy

4. Giga

Giga Masterpiece

looks like spiders to me too, is there a small hole in each one that a spider might hide in?

5. theta

theta Sapling

I don't believe I saw any holes in them. Just looked like a cobweb. I'm hoping it just some spiders. If they're there tomorrow I'll be sure to check better for holes.

After doing some research online I came across Dollar Spot Fungus? Which I think mostly affects grass, but can possibly be on shrubs? I don't know, but the fungus cobweb looks very similar. Has anyone dealt with this fungus on their trees before?
    water33spot.jpg

6. just.wing.it

just.wing.it Masterpiece

They look like spider webs to me...
    I like spiders in my trees, except when I'm 30 minutes into a wiring job and a jumping spider flies out onto my face....

Paintby#'s likes this.
  7. defra

defra Omono

I got plenty of that stuff in my tree's
    Its just spiderwebs imo

8. GrimLore

GrimLore Imperial Masterpiece

Fungal would stay - notice the webs you have shown are very geometric, with design. I still suspect a young spider or group of young spiders at practice. Last weekend when defoliating a Quince I removed, with a bamboo skewer over 50 babies from interior growth and released them to the grass. Not uncommon after hatch.

Grimmy

9. theta

theta Sapling

OK thanks guys. Crisis averted.

10. AZbonsai

AZbonsai Chumono

Yaupon holly I was working on had spider webs with cricket parts in them...left them there for Halloween.

Paradox and defra like this.