Aphids on my Maple, What You Guys Reccomend?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So funny enough this morning I both the Bayer 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate from Amazon and just now having a close look at the newest shoot on my maple that's what I have found (See Picture)
Would this product be safe enough on my maple tree and can I use it also on my Alberta Spruce?
What do you guys use?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.46.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.46.48 PM.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7221.JPG
    IMG_7221.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 55
I have used it and it works well. I also use malathion, too, it works great, in fact I keep a little quart spray bottle with some mixed up in it just for when I find myself in your situation.

I have used it and it works well. I also use malathion, too, it works great, in fact I keep a little quart spray bottle with some mixed up in it just for when I find myself in your situation.

Nice thanks for the quick feedback... I both the product today cause I read about this problem for Japanese Maple in some posts and I was trying to prevent this - They been faster than me I suppose.

I've had a few instances with aphids this spring. Nothing "infestation level." I mostly manually removed and squished them with a toothpick. And then followed up with a neem oil spray. It's been effective so far with no recent sightings.

Also the neem spray is a lighter duty, less expensive option than the bayer that you posted.

My first line of defense is to just spray them off with water. Rarely do I have to resort to stronger chemicals. I have used pyrethrins when necessary.

This is also the time of year that ladybugs reproduce and the young are voracious predators of aphids. I'm willing to live with some level of aphid activity to encourage the predators.

My first line of defense is to just spray them off with water. Rarely do I have to resort to stronger chemicals. I have used pyrethrins when necessary.

This is also the time of year that ladybugs reproduce and the young are voracious predators of aphids. I'm willing to live with some level of aphid activity to encourage the predators.
This is a good advice too, how long then you will wait before getting in chemicals?

You have more than a few aphids, so I would spray.

I had black aphids on some roses and my Acer P, washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle. Sprayed all over. Works well, so far.

So funny enough this morning I both the Bayer 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate from Amazon and just now having a close look at the newest shoot on my maple that's what I have found (See Picture)
Would this product be safe enough on my maple tree and can I use it also on my Alberta Spruce?
What do you guys use?
Thanks
If they're not too many, squish them. Check a couple of days later. Squish the new ones. Repeat until they're all gone. The environment will thank you! ;-)

They're likely favoring your tomato and just moving due to overpopulation.

Spray them with water....so they fall off the deck....
And once eradicated...
They probly won't find you again.

It's the maters.

Sorce

Aphids are bad here, washing them off with water does zero good. The ants just bring more back.

I generally use liquid sevin. Its affective, cheap and I can use it on my fruit trees. Weird you say it's the tomato sorce, I've never had bugs on mine.

This is a good advice too, how long then you will wait before getting in chemicals?
There's really no way to give a specific time frame. It can take several days (even a week) of frequently spraying with water to knock down the population of whatever critter you've got - whether it's aphids or spider mites. I have a maple (growing out in a large nursery container, not a bonsai yet) that was covered with aphids on many of the new shoots a few weeks ago. Sprayed with water several times, now I cannot find many aphids at all. I suspect it was the combination of blasting them off and the arrival of beneficial/predatory bugs that brought them under control.

Aphids can do significant damage and can even transmit diseases (I think), so if they've gotten out of control then you should definitely do whatever is needed to get rid of them. I do think that people tend to blast away with harsh chemicals too quickly and too often, they don't realize they are also killing the beneficial creatures that keep things like aphids under control...thus effectively perpetuating the problem and even making it worse.

They're likely favoring your tomato and just moving due to overpopulation.

Spray them with water....so they fall off the deck....
And once eradicated...
They probly won't find you again.

It's the maters.

Sorce
Funny enough you may be right on this, I have sprayed my Tomatoes Plants a few days ago with copper, I do it every year. That may have encouraged the creature to move around.

Funny enough you may be right on this, I have sprayed my Tomatoes Plants a few days ago with copper, I do it every year. That may have encouraged the creature to move around.

Excellent Observation!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom