Anyone using Magnolia?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hello, I was nursery crawling today and ran into a tree that I have seen for the past 2 years. Every time I see it I wonder if the leaf size would reduce on the tree. I love the base and the movement and taper in the trunk. Just haven't ever jumped on it because I have never seen anything on magnolia as bonsai. I does look very tempting though. Thoughts?

Attachments

• magnolia.jpg
    magnolia.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 121
https://www.google.com/search?q=mag...UJZfLsASzqIKQCg&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1411&bih=818

benStillerDoIt.jpg

Seems like few work with them, but there have been discussions, such as

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?14073-Magnolia-Jane-Bonsai-Project

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13814-Star-Magnolia-She-s-Alive!

A club member recently brought one in that he's been working on for about 15 years. It was in full bloom in cascade style, very nice. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera.

I have one potted, variety "Leonard Messel", but it's in the early training stages so I can't say much about leaf size reduction. But everything I've read suggests the leaves don't reduce enough to really be in scale, except on a large plant. As I noted in one of the above threads, I think magnolias are best treated like wisterias - as they are most attractive in winter (branch structure) through blooming, then not so attractive when in leaf.

Chris

Yes, I don't think this tree was a particular cultivar. If it was I wouldn't be able to identify it readily as I'm not on top of my magnolia game. There isn't a price listed so I may ask the old guy what kind of deal he can make me on it. I noticed you said that they are best observed for their branch structure in the winter. Are they purposely defoliated in the winter?

Most of the magnolias I've seen used for bonsai are the deciduous varieties.

I've looked at magnolias a few times too. Even if the leaves reduced down the flowers are too large. For my tastes anyway. Everything should be in proportion. No?

Yes, I don't think this tree was a particular cultivar. If it was I wouldn't be able to identify it readily as I'm not on top of my magnolia game. There isn't a price listed so I may ask the old guy what kind of deal he can make me on it. I noticed you said that they are best observed for their branch structure in the winter. Are they purposely defoliated in the winter?

That looks to me like it is a "sweetbay magnolia" (Magnolia virginiana). Its leaves are quite a bit smaller than the "Southern" magnolia, and it is found in your area of Florida. Since it is a large plant, I'd say its leave may be no more "out of proportion" than those of a shohin Japanese maple might be relative to the size of the tree.

The flowers would be worth it.

I've looked at magnolias a few times too. Even if the leaves reduced down the flowers are too large. For my tastes anyway. Everything should be in proportion. No?

Well, there's the key phrase. I still think it's like having wisteria or azalea bonsai. In both cases, the flowers are really too large to accurately depict a natural tree (unless the bonsai is really large or you have a variety with very small flowers). But they still can produce a beautiful effect. Similarly, many deciduous bonsai have leaves that are too large for the scale to be "right", but they still are beautiful.

As for the original post - that does look like a sweetbay magnolia. I don't think I've seen that one used for bonsai but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Probably would be evergreen in your area so it would give a different effect than the standard deciduous magnolias.

Last edited:

That is what I am thinking. But hey if I can get a steal on it, I might just give it a go.

Well, there's the key phrase. I still think it's like having wisteria or azalea bonsai. In both cases, the flowers are really too large to accurately depict a natural tree (unless the bonsai is really large or you have a variety with very small flowers). But they still can produce a beautiful effect. Similarly, many deciduous bonsai have leaves that are too large for the scale to be "right", but they still are beautiful.

As for the original post - that does look like a sweetbay magnolia. I don't think I've seen that one used for bonsai but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Probably would be evergreen in your area so it would give a different effect than the standard deciduous magnolias.

There is one thing you would be able to say about it. It would definitely be different. Whether a interesting different or an ugly one would be the question. I'm going to go talk to him next time I'm in the area and see if I can't get it for a good deal. Like less than $60 type of deal.

When you think of ones showing this while in bloom...and tucking them away at a later date toward the back of their trees. I see no problem with it...as with wisteria...if you admire the bloom and it's in your backyard...and your happy with it. Go for it! Like I said...I keep looking at magnolias...nothing even close to a base like that in the ones I've looked at.

Back
Top Bottom