Anyone try using a Post Oak for bonsai?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have found an old Post Oak (Quercus stellata) near my property. It is remarkable in that it is one of very few old trees in our area with no damage. I looked in the search and couldn’t find anything on the Post Oak. Does that mean it is horrible for bonsai or just not a very common tree. I would like to collect some acorns this fall and start a few trees for my property. Would it be worth starting some for bonsai? I am old enough that I would never see them grown but someone somewhere might appreciate it in the future if they are suitable material.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Go for it! Growing from seed is a fun project, if you’re not in any hurry ;)

Oaks can be tough for bonsai because, among other reasons, of the leaf size. I don’t have much firsthand experience with oaks; my only oak is still pretty small. But I’d imagine you can probably get some degree of leaf reduction, although not much.

I’d plan on larger scale trees if you do use for bonsai.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My post oak has been a bonsai for about 10 years, it was started as a seedling several years before that by a friend. It is styled as an extreme slant semi-bunjin due to accidental trauma when very young, if that makes any sense. It is very slow growing, touchy about any root work or pruning, and does not bud back well. It was defoliated by accident once--some unidentified pest destroyed the leaves one summer. The new foliage had a wonderful pink color and did reduce pretty well. I keep it in an oversized pot with very coarse free-draining soil.

Would I recommend the species for bonsai? No. Do I love the one I have? Yes!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I have found an old Post Oak (Quercus stellata) near my property. It is remarkable in that it is one of very few old trees in our area with no damage. I looked in the search and couldn’t find anything on the Post Oak. Does that mean it is horrible for bonsai or just not a very common tree. I would like to collect some acorns this fall and start a few trees for my property. Would it be worth starting some for bonsai? I am old enough that I would never see them grown but someone somewhere might appreciate it in the future if they are suitable material.

There are many species of tree's that aren't commonly used for Bonsai, but that doesn't mean that said species is unfit. Here's a pic of my California Live Black Oak, which is itself a species not commonly used for Bonsai but makes a nice one anyway:)

IMG_20190409_173928_268.jpgIMG_20190409_173928_267.jpgIMG_20190409_173928_269.jpgIMG_20181224_090030_259.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many species of tree's that aren't commonly used for Bonsai, but that doesn't mean that said species is unfit. Here's a pic of my California Live Black Oak, which is itself a species not commonly used for Bonsai but makes a nice one anyway:)

View attachment 241418View attachment 241419View attachment 241420View attachment 241421

Combination of 2 trees? What is scientific name please? Personally have CA black oak looks nothing like this;).

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Combination of 2 trees? What is scientific name please? Personally have CA black oak looks nothing like this;).

Quercus x chasei, it is a highbrid tree that is from the Coast Live Oak and the Black Oak, commonly seen in Northern California up through parts of Oregon.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No doubt there will and are people advising you to start an oak bonsai from an acorn --people who don't have an oak bonsai... As the owner of an actual oak bonsai, I would say "skip it. Ain't worth it and won't produce a decent bonsai in your lifetime..."

Presumably you want an oak bonsai because it's an oak and you're after the aged, gnarled character that makes having it worthwhile. You will not get ANY of that from a tree grown from an acorn in your lifetime, or your children's lifetime.

Oak spend the first 100 years of their lives just getting to the stage where they actually HAVE any character in their appearance. Same is true for oak bonsai. That seedling you're growing will require at least a couple of decades to get decent bark. another ten to produce decent older looking branching and top. then another ten to refine. If you have another 30 years (or 40-50--more would be better) GO FOR IT.;)

If you want an actual oak bonsai, start with mature material. At the very least, find the post oak's sapling children under or near the tree. If there are acorns around, there are oak children around too. Look for trunks that are already 4-9 inches in diameter. Try your hand at collecting them successfully. Even if your first couple of efforts don't survive, you're still 30 year ahead of where you would be if you start with acorns.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
No doubt there will and are people advising you to start an oak bonsai from an acorn --people who don't have an oak bonsai... As the owner of an actual oak bonsai, I would say "skip it. Ain't worth it and won't produce a decent bonsai in your lifetime..."

Presumably you want an oak bonsai because it's an oak and you're after the aged, gnarled character that makes having it worthwhile. You will not get ANY of that from a tree grown from an acorn in your lifetime, or your children's lifetime.

Oak spend the first 100 years of their lives just getting to the stage where they actually HAVE any character in their appearance. Same is true for oak bonsai. That seedling you're growing will require at least a couple of decades to get decent bark. another ten to produce decent older looking branching and top. then another ten to refine. If you have another 30 years (or 40-50--more would be better) GO FOR IT.;)

If you want an actual oak bonsai, start with mature material. At the very least, find the post oak's sapling children under or near the tree. If there are acorns around, there are oak children around too. Look for trunks that are already 4-9 inches in diameter. Try your hand at collecting them successfully. Even if your first couple of efforts don't survive, you're still 30 year ahead of where you would be if you start with acorns.

This advice is spot on! Here is a pic of an Oak Forest that I recently traded into. This forest was grown from acorns starting in 1992 making it 27 years old and it is only just now starting to bark up at the bottom.

IMG_20190421_164346_038.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Collecting certainly saves time. But with this species it poses special problems, post oaks are notoriously hard to transplant. Try it, but expect a lot of losses.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Again @rockm comes through with sage advice. I think I will gather up acorns this fall and give them away to the young people at our club’s winter auction.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
FYI, I think cork oaks grow on the faster side of slow for oak growth in general. Here is my experience with them so far.

4 to 5 months old
IMG_3209.JPG

4 years old
IMG_3212.JPG

Plus side of 30 years.
IMG_3208.JPG

Top Bottom