Anyone - Japanese Magnolia, Magnolia Soulangeana Magnolia Liliiflora Project?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Japanese Magnolia that I decided I wanted to try and Bonsai as I love the blooms and the bark characteristics of the tree. I trunk chopped it last year, in middle of summer, not knowing how it would respond, probably way to high and it has actually done pretty good. It had some very good growth from right below the chop site within the 4-5 months it had before it dropped its leaves. I actually slowed down the growth quite a lot by pruning the leaders, trying to get it to back bud on the trunk further down.

Based on the info I learned over last years researching and actually trying to learn about bonsai I would have done this differently, but up until about summer of last year I was just messing with Bonsai and that's when I chopped the tree. I also removed some branches around half way up the trunk as it has an obvious inverse taper. There used to be 1 left but it broke when I was practicing wiring on it last year.

Don't really have a plan as of now. Last year, I was trying to get that lowest branch to gain vigor to thicken the trunk underneath it, thinking that I would chop lower than the inverse taper section, once the trunk thickened up quite a bit. My main plan is to get it repotted and let it grow, probably even plant in ground as I want the trunk much thicker as this will need to be a very large bonsai to support the blooms. Also want the lower branch to grow out and become a twin trunk.

Several questions besides any general advice from anyone that has messed with these before or some of you guys that have lots of experience with flowering bonsai.

1) - should I wait till after this blooms to re-pot? Has anyone done much root pruning on these? If I do repot, my current plan involves being fairly conservative (since I don't know much about these, nor can I find much about), sawing off the lower 1/3rd of the root mass then teasing out a quarter of the roots around the perimeter of the remaining root mass. The problem is, it hasn't bloomed yet this year and all the landscape trees have. It looks like its been pushing flowering buds and some vegetative buds but they are extending very, very slowly. I'm thinking that the chop in mid summer forced the tree to put a lot of energy into growing foliage. So maybe its spent and shouldn't be messed with much this year unless I literally plop it in the ground, only barely teasing out the roots.

2) - If I plant in the ground, when is it best time to do so and how much root work should I do? I would love to attack these roots like a trident maple, screw to a board and stick in ground or maybe even colander but I am concerned about bare rooting the tree now or even next spring.

3) - any other advice on what you think I should do with this tree would be appreciated. I do want to try and make it a bonsai, even if it ends up being to large to be actually considered a bonsai. Just a nice potted tree that gets covered in these flowers in early spring.

Here are some pics from winter.

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My personal experience is with magnolia stellata, but I think the whole family will behave similarly.
I think it better in spring to repot before flowering.
Alternatively, they can be repotted in Aug/Sep. when they have newly hardened foliage powering root recovery.
Avoid times when new shoots are extending.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I probably should have mentioned that these are deciduous and loose their leaves around late Nov in my area.

So it sounds like I might be able to go ahead and do something with the tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just remember not to let the pot freeze...if repotting is in order. Winter is far from over in my neck of the woods. Make sure you have a plan for it...if winter rears it's ugly head.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winter is gone here. its in the 80s today. Thank you though. If it does freeze, Im in super trouble!!!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update on this tree. It started pushing leaves and I had to make a decision. I went ahead with a repot into a wooden box. I removed / cut off half the root ball, combined out some of the side roots and potted in a mix of mostly screened pine bark, with about 25% being a mix of pearlite, builders gravel and turface. Did this a weeks ago. Tree has responded well and if pushing hard. No flowers which suck. It's probably because of my mid summer trunk chop last year and pushing it hard with lots of N fert last late summer and fall: I have gotten a couple back buds on the trunk since the repot that will help with the inverse tapping. Will probably just grow these out and think about putting in ground in fall or spring of next year. Or he'll, maybe just keep in box and start trying to ramify the top for lots of spring flowers will growing out the lower branches unrestricted to gain trunk girth. I'm mostly growing for the spring flowers anyways.

Anyone else with any experience trying to grow these as bonsai?'

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at your photos, it is clear you had no flower buds in February. Late pruning is most likely the cause. Weak roots, weak growth or insufficient sun can also cause branches to fail to produce flower buds. Now that you have it in a box, I would go at least 2 years without repotting or root work. Beef the plant up, get some vigorous growth going. See what it does.

I have M. virginiana 'Dodd's Dwarf', only beginning my 3rd growing season from quart size landscape stock. So far I have not had any flower buds form either. 'Dodd's Dwarf' has leaves less than one inch long. Unfortunately, they seem to grow very slow, which does not bode well for adding branching and eventually flowering. I'll post when I finally get it to flower.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo, thank you for your response. I really like this one and hope to get something decent in bloom out of it one day. I really think i just pushed to hard after the mid summer trunk chop last year and it didnt get to store up enough sugars for winter and spring bloom.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on your magnolia? I am thinking of trying to root a cutting from one that it's front of my parent's house this spring.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo, thank you for your response. I really like this one and hope to get something decent in bloom out of it one day. I really think i just pushed to hard after the mid summer trunk chop last year and it didnt get to store up enough sugars for winter and spring bloom.

Hi any update? Could you please share what you have learned so far about Magnolias? There is not that much info about this species!

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This might be helpful:

Yes, thank you. I did find that article and this in Japanese:
I will like the 2007/NO. 1 issue of International bonsai magazine but I don't want to ask for shipping price to UK, bothering Bill with all that just for one magazine.
Apart from some 'nuts' good tread and a couple of not very informative professionals articles there is still little info for the interest and material availability... Many say that is not a good bonsai but we all have seen great examples from which my favourite is Udo Fisher at the Trophy 2020:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Star Magnolia has smaller leaves, but still pretty big for bonsai and not really reducible, per se. Still the flowers are spectacular. It just looks like a jumble of leaves otherwise.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Star Magnolia has smaller leaves, but still pretty big for bonsai and not really reducible, per se. Still the flowers are spectacular. It just looks like a jumble of leaves otherwise.

Not really reducible per se? I have heard comments about it but nobody specifically say what tecnnic they have tried with what results..I do understand about having a 'jumble of leaves' but even if leaves size can't be reduced, most decidious are shown without leaves anyway! many others trees tend to have big leaves or needles most of the time or are appreciated for one or two weeks a year like Ume, wisteria, ginkgo, etc.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
While a beautiful naked tree is great to have, most hobbyist trees are not up to that grade, at least not in the USA, and we don't have many shows out of season here either. Speaking as a Treebler, I don't want to see any naked 'Taters...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not really reducible per se? I have heard comments about it but nobody specifically say what tecnnic they have tried with what results..I do understand about having a 'jumble of leaves' but even if leaves size can't be reduced, most decidious are shown without leaves anyway! many others trees tend to have big leaves or needles most of the time or are appreciated for one or two weeks a year like Ume, wisteria, ginkgo, etc.
I have denuded mine a couple times in June and it does reduce ~10% which I do not consider worth the effort for that purpose. It does cycle forward for ramification purposes, but at the expense of next year's flowers.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have denuded mine a couple times in June and it does reduce ~10% which I do not consider worth the effort for that purpose. It does cycle forward for ramification purposes, but at the expense of next year's flowers.
I understand that liliiflora has particularly large leave's but anyway will be interesting to see defoliation, some pot bound and not fertilising in spring...

Top Bottom