Anybody familiar with JWP 'Acto Goyo'

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I killed mine...unintentionally of course, but I found these on line and the nursery said they're notorious
for being difficult to grow.
I wanted to replace mine and work on it a LOT slower than I did with this one. I mean I really butchered it
and I love the 3/4 inch short needles.
1684178384041.png
Before

1684178620623.png
After work was done October 2021.
After it failed to recover, I was told it was probably Sun scorch to interior growth.
But chopped and made a huge shari all at once ripping a branch downwards. So my fault...
That doesn't mean though that it's not a difficult variety, is it?

Ok so I got a reply from the nursery, that...
"Yes, Acto and Adcock's Dwarf are both extra sensitive to saturated soil
which is a problem here with our wet winters."

That being said, it should not be a problem in 1/4" aggregate and bark.
+ I over winter my trees under our sunroom where I have to water on occasion.
Anybody else have any experience with them?

I killed an Adcock's dwarf due to overwatering myself. I currently have a "Myogo"from Riverbend Gardens that is extremely similar. It seems sensitive to overwatering as well. It dropped needles on me this spring.

Attachments

• 20230515_164439.jpg
    20230515_164439.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230515_164445.jpg
    20230515_164445.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 40
I killed an Adcock's dwarf due to overwatering myself. I currently have a "Myogo"from Riverbend Gardens that is extremely similar. It seems sensitive to overwatering as well. It dropped needles on me this spring.
Wow. Isn't it curious how even though being grafted, the scion takes the rap for being sensitive
over the root stock?
You're making me 2nd guess my decision to pull the trigger, because when I go out of town
my neighborhood kid tends to be absolutely positive he did not let the trees dry out LOL.
Last year, after a trip out West, I got a bad fungal infection on all my conifers except junipers.
They were pretty squishy when I got back from vacation.
Then my wife is already planning a trip to Alaska 2025 :rolleyes:

I've had one for two years now (atco goyo). Seems to be pretty hardy. I live in North Dakota and I typically prefer the type of trees that grow locally but this jwp seems to be doing just fine. Take your time don't wire chop and report all at once

I've had one for two years now (atco goyo). Seems to be pretty hardy. I live in North Dakota and I typically prefer the type of trees that grow locally but this jwp seems to be doing just fine. Take your time don't wire chop and report all at once
Thanks and welcome to "the club" :)
I always let my trees grow on a year or more before repotting them. I get them as bushy as I can.
Sadly I never got that far with this one. Looking back at the 1st picture, the tree as it came from
the nursery, was having problems already. That was right out of the box it came in.
I should have let it go untouched the 1st year I had it. Not so much to learn the species, but
to gain vigour it was losing.

Wow. Isn't it curious how even though being grafted, the scion takes the rap for being sensitive
over the root stock?
You're making me 2nd guess my decision to pull the trigger, because when I go out of town
my neighborhood kid tends to be absolutely positive he did not let the trees dry out LOL.
Last year, after a trip out West, I got a bad fungal infection on all my conifers except junipers.
They were pretty squishy when I got back from vacation.
Then my wife is already planning a trip to Alaska 2025 :rolleyes:
I tip up my pots with a stone so there's no chance of water pooling in the bottom of my pots. If you use mica pots drill more holes in the bottom especially in the corners. You can never have enough holes in a pot if a tree hates wet feet.

I work a lot so I need my substrate to hold water, but not so much I drown them and kill off the oxygen supply to the root zone.

I lost some trees this year from several years ago from a poor choice in substrate

Here's one of my newer jbp corkers. I tip them like this their first year with me while they acclimate to my climate. This has always saved me me from overwatering or if it rains alot.

Attachments

• 20230515_190852.jpg
    20230515_190852.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 64
Scorpius I love that tip of tipping the pot for overwatering I've lost a few trees from over loving lol. This is what I'm working with after two years of training. The first year I did a light prune/wire. Second year nothing. Now this year repot. Only because the outer roots were rotting. I keep looking at this tree invisioning a drastic trunk chop. Please be brutality honest I'd love feed back I don't get any. The only people that have bonsai where I live are the people that buy from the occasional "bonsai" stand on the side of the road.

Buds just forming

Attachments

• IMG_20230515_200445207_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230515_200445207_MP.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230515_200501248.jpg
    IMG_20230515_200501248.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 70
^^^^ I like it just the way it is. It's got good potential and a clean graft that early on. It looks very healthy. Good job!

@kodiac the graft on your JWP is as beautiful as the foliage.
But the whorls, oh the whorls.
Fall is when we would begin reducing the whorls to 3 or less.
I'm glad you've already began the transition to bonsai soil successfully, or was it purchased already in bonsai soil?
Nice looking tree.

No It came with the typical nursery wood chip mix. And I agree about the whorls. I've killed many trees trying to do too much. I've heard the phrase "pines will tolerate one insult per year" and I know thats ment to slow the newbies down but I believe there is some truth to that

Purchased a Myogo from Riverbend Gardens last year.

This spring it was repotted. The roots were not looking good.. soggy. The media seemed deficient, wet and broken down.

After repotting in a inorganic mix and drilling the pot, the tree seems ok… holding my breath this year.

best
DSD sends

Buds just forming
I started chopping back the whorls last Sept in a Jennifer Price workshop and it responded well.

Based on just a one year observation, the Myogo grows faster than I expected, and loves to push out lots of growth in one spot, especial at the terminals. This has caused a bit of trunk swelling at each growth point. If you see it, try to get on it before the tree develops multiple reverse taper points on the trunk.

btw Please enter your approximate location and usda zone on your icon data so we can provide you the best help possible. To do this click on your icon atop the page. Then click on Account Details, scroll down and enter the appropriate info…and hit save. After doing this your general data will appear on your icon on each post so everyone can tailor their advice to your area.

cheers
DSD sends

Purchased a Myogo from Riverbend Gardens last year.

This spring it was repotted. The roots were not looking good.. soggy. The media seemed deficient, wet and broken down.

After repotting in a inorganic mix and drilling the pot, the tree seems ok… holding my breath this year.

best
DSD sends
Same here. Lost one corker from him and another seems iffy. Wet and soggy soil is no good.

It sends the best thing to do is repot right away upon receipt, or drill holes in the bottom of the pot right off. Usually Riverbend pots are plastic or composite.

His azaleas are potted in a really good mix and all I have here are very healthy… until I experiment on them at least 😎

Here is my little Myojo today. Over potted a bit more than received to give the barely pruned roots room to grow. I also hit the roots with the usual H2O2 mix to help avoid any further root issue. It works for azaleas, so I'm using for other trees now too.

IMG_8800.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

It sends the best thing to do is repot right away upon receipt, or drill holes in the bottom of the pot right off. Usually Riverbend pots are plastic or composite.

His azaleas are potted in a really good mix and all I have here are very healthy… until I experiment on them at least 😎

Here is my little Myojo today. Over potted a bit more than received to give the barely pruned roots room to grow. I also hit the roots with the usual H2O2 mix to help avoid any further root issue. It works for azaleas, so I'm using for other trees now too.

View attachment 488825

Cheers
DSD sends
Good job on the wiring

Back
Top Bottom