Angry and sad,need advice

elena999

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a Green Island ficus for about a year. it needed some shape but Im not experienced enough to shape it but I was gonna try it this Spring.(HA HA) It did great inside for the winter..has tons of new leaves, very healthy. Well, I put it out a few days ago..something or someone destroyed it. Wind, animal..who knows. I lost 2 big full branches, pot shattered. I trimmed them at the trunk the best I could. It needed a shape but this is what im left with. I repotted it just to make me feel better. What to do with it. I didnt trim a thing anywhere else i figured its been through enough right now. Also, I cant find my healer for the cuts. will it be ok until I get more? toss it? trim it? I guess I should leave it alone at the moment. The braches that came off are so nice and healthy looking. I hope I can save it but Im thinking it will never be much to look at..Opinions please...
elena
The last picture was before the break..a few months ago.

Attachments

• green island 008.JPG
    green island 008.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 62
  • green island 011.JPG
    green island 011.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 61
  • green island 010.JPG
    green island 010.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 61
  • green island 015.JPG
    green island 015.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Gr Island.JPG
    Gr Island.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 58
I heared you can also use ash as a wound-seal (you should google it), also i would bury the 'arial-root' more in the ground (maybe pack some sphagnum moss) so it won't die on also. Maybe you can see this tree, as a tree with history and natural generated shari ;)

I once saw a lecture on the real nature of bonsai as an art form. One of the things that really makes a bonsai is the story it tells. The tree as it was told a story of growth, which is fine, but fairly common. The tree now tells a story of survival and overcoming adversity (as Cypress187 said, a tree with history). Given a few years, this will make a beautiful tree BECAUSE of what happened. Don't lose heart.

Fully agree with the two previous posts. When I saw the picture I thought it was a great littel tree. Actually, better then the original.

I would consider loosing the areal root. It feels too thick.

The tree honestly look better in my opinion and it doesn't look to healthy before. Maybe just fertalizers and water well and keep outdoors to recover

The more I look at it..Im beginning to agree

Fully agree with the two previous posts. When I saw the picture I thought it was a great littel tree. Actually, better then the original.

I would consider loosing the areal root. It feels too thick.

I dont like the arial root either..but am afraid to traumatize it more..by cutting//

I once saw a lecture on the real nature of bonsai as an art form. One of the things that really makes a bonsai is the story it tells. The tree as it was told a story of growth, which is fine, but fairly common. The tree now tells a story of survival and overcoming adversity (as Cypress187 said, a tree with history). Given a few years, this will make a beautiful tree BECAUSE of what happened. Don't lose heart.

thank you for the encouraging words..makes me feel better

I think you're on a way better path now too!

I really really like it now.

Ditch the "kickstand" and you're golden!

I'd look to lose some of that extra UP growth in favor of a new leader at the end. Start letting the side ones grow to be branching.

The base looks strong now. Any lean may help, but I like it there.

The taper in pic 3 is Perfect. Maybe the back, but perfect. Ad it'll probably bud down low....!

Golden!

Sorce

I think you're on a way better path now too!

I really really like it now.

Ditch the "kickstand" and you're golden!

I'd look to lose some of that extra UP growth in favor of a new leader at the end. Start letting the side ones grow to be branching.

The base looks strong now. Any lean may help, but I like it there.

The taper in pic 3 is Perfect. Maybe the back, but perfect. Ad it'll probably bud down low....!

Golden!

Sorce

Wow, thanks..will do. im feeling a lot better.

The tree honestly look better in my opinion and it doesn't look to healthy before. Maybe just fertalizers and water well and keep outdoors to recover

sorry for my poor English skillz there, but I've broken branches I've worked on for years and my dog broke a few too-just need to learn and live on-just don't stop, that would be the biggest mistake!

Yep I agree with the others, the tree is better without the "T" branching.
Just have to work on developing an apex.

Wow. Getting out of that New Rule thread that is such a drag......it's nice to have that little red invite back here to something really feel-good and heartwarming.

Elena, you should never have been that sad, or in a mind to leave that tree how it was!;)

You, rather, your accident, has rid you of that Tbar as Paradox indicated, has created a smoother taper transition than before. It has compacted your tree, which simultaneously given it a more 3 dimensional feel. It has added movement.

This is hard for people to do on purpose!

I just want to point it out so YOU do it on PURPOSE next time!

Please take care of this one! Or I will be sad! I really look forward to the updates! Great story to this one!

Sorce :)

Wow. Getting out of that New Rule thread that is such a drag......it's nice to have that little red invite back here to something really feel-good and heartwarming.

Elena, you should never have been that sad, or in a mind to leave that tree how it was!;)

You, rather, your accident, has rid you of that Tbar as Paradox indicated, has created a smoother taper transition than before. It has compacted your tree, which simultaneously given it a more 3 dimensional feel. It has added movement.

This is hard for people to do on purpose!

I just want to point it out so YOU do it on PURPOSE next time!

Please take care of this one! Or I will be sad! I really look forward to the updates! Great story to this one!

Sorce :)

Oh how nice!!! I really didnt like that t-bar shape and was not sure what to do about it...this turned out for the best after all. Now if i can learn hoe to develope and trim properly it may truly be my own...Thank you..

Not that its much solace, but i think most of us have had a bad animal experience or two. The critters of thengreat outdoors can be challenging.

I have a bad animal experience almost every time I open the door to my garden. The damn squirrels think my trees are their playground! One of these days I will have a Davey Crocket looking hat made of squirrel instead of coon! Me and my trusty red rider BB Gun (with a compass in the stock) are gonna get 'em!

People have problems with animals doing things to their trees?
Never heard of such a thing!
L.O.L.!
I have something tossing the moss out of one of my trees everyday. Whatever it is, today is close to its last day.
The damn V.C.

I agree that it now looks better and that the aerial root should go. If it's left in place, the spot where it leaves the trunk will thicken faster that the rest, and you'll get a bulge there. The tree seems pretty healthy so I don't think removing the root will cause it much stress.

Back
Top Bottom