American boxwood.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. I think if you can open the crown more it will be even better. Wonder if you can thread or approach graft boxwood?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice trunk on that one!
I agree with petegreg about removing that right lower branch (or sub-trunk)...
I also agree with JudyB about opening up the top.
Very nice tree though...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes that limb is FAT. I will let it get use to what I've done and then look closer at the other "trunk" Its fat enough I could practice with an upward pointing jin knowing it OK to completely remove the branch.
There was a big open space right in the middle. I have a lot of pressure now with what I've done. I'm also using that big limb as an anchor for pulling over the center of the tree.
20160902_132144.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes that limb is FAT. I will let it get use to what I've done and then look closer at the other "trunk" Its fat enough I could practice with an upward pointing jin knowing it OK to completely remove the branch.
There was a big open space right in the middle. I have a lot of pressure now with what I've done. I'm also using that big limb as an anchor for pulling over the center of the tree.
View attachment 115941

It was just a Q. Maybe it won't on the boxwood. We all learn everyday. Feel free and good with what you do with your 3s...and you are right, proceed slowly.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should make a nice little tree.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank's for the advice on opening up the top. Looking forward to it growing in and shaping later. Sorry for the double post. Hope everyone has a great weekend.20160904_175450.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm so bored with this tree. I dont really like it and not sure what to do with it until I saw a post from sorce (thanks) He posted a video that shows a great way of dealing with boxwoods. I watched the video and my tree is a good candidate for this method. I stripped it down and wired it up like the video shows. Time will tell if it works for me. Had fun working on the tree and like it a little more now that I have a plan for it.
Here is the video Sorce posted.
20170617_124443.jpg
20170617_135713.jpg
20170617_173439.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like after you strip the leaves off they end up growing back pretty fast. lots of wiring and stripping leaves doing it this way. Maybe leaving the leaves on until re wiring will help the new formed branches set faster? Rather than keeping them stripped off. Or maybe keeping them stripped off pushes the growth out the ends like I want? First time doing it like in the video but it sure looks like it can work. I may keep a few branches stripped of leaves except for the top just to see how it grows compared to leaving all the new leaves in between wiring. No clue what I'm doing but its working.
20170704_183810.jpg

Top Bottom