American Beech Forest

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the idea, and the tree is interesting. Good to see something different!

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Giga, you may already know this, but I haven't really seen it written anywhere in my books or on the net, and its been debated before on bnut, about how the HH method does not work on F grandifola, but as far as ramifying american beech, on a healthy tree, you "debud" the tree in the spring. basically pull all the buds off is the way I understand it. It has to do with the physiology of american beech and how it produces dormant buds, the buds are already there, and by debudding the tree it will trigger it to bud back and create a lot more buds.

I have not done this yet personally, I just became aware of the method a few weeks ago. The guy who told me about it is Jack Wikle, and he provided photo's of a tree over the course of about 40 years. the first 15 or so years he showed me how slow the tree was progressing, and then he figured out this debudding method, and showed me through a photo series, how much faster the tree developed after he started doing this. the tree im talking about is on display and property of the hidden lake gardens bonsai collection in Michigan now, but Jack collected that tree as a seedling back in the 60's. He also mentioned it works well on american hornbeam, as well as a few others. Just throwing it out there FWIW because its seems to me that F grandifolia is somewhat mysterious and difficult to work with even today, and I can see that you share my personal interest in the species.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hey Giga, you may already know this, but I haven't really seen it written anywhere in my books or on the net, and its been debated before on bnut, about how the HH method does not work on F grandifola, but as far as ramifying american beech, on a healthy tree, you "debud" the tree in the spring. basically pull all the buds off is the way I understand it. It has to do with the physiology of american beech and how it produces dormant buds, the buds are already there, and by debudding the tree it will trigger it to bud back and create a lot more buds.

I have not done this yet personally, I just became aware of the method a few weeks ago. The guy who told me about it is Jack Wikle, and he provided photo's of a tree over the course of about 40 years. the first 15 or so years he showed me how slow the tree was progressing, and then he figured out this debudding method, and showed me through a photo series, how much faster the tree developed after he started doing this. the tree im talking about is on display and property of the hidden lake gardens bonsai collection in Michigan now, but Jack collected that tree as a seedling back in the 60's. He also mentioned it works well on american hornbeam, as well as a few others. Just throwing it out there FWIW because its seems to me that F grandifolia is somewhat mysterious and difficult to work with even today, and I can see that you share my personal interest in the species.

This seems like something worth trying, any link or so to the articles in term of timing and how many years in a row it can be done and the like? As well as pictures

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This seems like something worth trying, any link or so to the articles in term of timing and how many years in a row it can be done and the like? As well as pictures
Removing the terminal buds on American beech should be done in early spring before they start swelling to get maximum backbudding on the branch. Removing the terminal "activates" the buds further back on the branch because the hormones telling the terminal bud to open and extend have nowhere else to go but to the "resting" buds remaining on the branch.

The technique works, sometimes dramatically, but mostly you will get one to three new shoots on the remaining branches.

Another technique is cutting those big leaves in half after they've hardened off in late spring. That can stimulate new buds as the tree tries to make up for the partial loss. Sometimes the resting buds won't open until NEXT spring.

You need a lot of patience with American beech. It is a VERY conservative tree and does things slowly.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Removing the terminal buds on American beech should be done in early spring before they start swelling to get maximum backbudding on the branch. Removing the terminal "activates" the buds further back on the branch because the hormones telling the terminal bud to open and extend have nowhere else to go but to the "resting" buds remaining on the branch.

The technique works, sometimes dramatically, but mostly you will get one to three new shoots on the remaining branches.

Another technique is cutting those big leaves in half after they've hardened off in late spring. That can stimulate new buds as the tree tries to make up for the partial loss. Sometimes the resting buds won't open until NEXT spring.

You need a lot of patience with American beech. It is a VERY conservative tree and does things slowly.

I actually already do these things but @Waltron suggested removing all the buds. Seems like a scary thing to do to a tree who likes to hold back

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually already do these things but @Waltron suggested removing all the buds. Seems like a scary thing to do to a tree who likes to hold back
I wouldn't remove all the buds. Not a great thing to do to any tree, much less a slow grower like American beech. If you're curious about this technique, try it on a tree you don't care about first.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wouldn't remove all the buds. Not a great thing to do to any tree, much less a slow grower like American beech. If you're curious about this technique, try it on a tree you don't care about first.

I would have to get a tree I don't care about lol

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
So this did really well last year and Ramification increased a fair amount. Weather is warming up so it's time to work
0211180909.jpg

Lots of spikes leaves
0211180926.jpg

Lots of dominant buds and Ramification to cut back to get even distributions of energy

0211180927.jpg0211180927c.jpg

Some places had to be cut back harder as they are too strong
0211180930a.jpg

I also wired it but of course I forgot to picture it. I'll take some tonight.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m not crazy about the propped up slab , slab looks out of place for some reason , I like the idea of the cliff

I think this slab would work better laying flat With a different composition ?

Good job getting creative I like your ground cover though !

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
HuH???
Nice work getting the tree to respond.

I've been watching to much youtube, lol yeah I have 7 amaerican beech so I've been forced really understand the species.

I’m not crazy about the propped up slab , slab looks out of place for some reason , I like the idea of the cliff

I think this slab would work better laying flat With a different composition ?

Good job getting creative I like your ground cover though !

I like the angled slab and once it gets worked it will look better. I like this one just because it outside the box and I think it's important to push design then the standard Japanese design for every tree.

Top Bottom