All Conifers but Wanting Deciduous Next

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Check out this for tridents. SeanS has done pretty cool things with tridents. He also has a nice one of Japanese maples.

Thanks for the kind words @Jrmcmich! Tridents are pretty bullet proof if they’re healthy, but they do battle with fungal infections if the conditions are right (or wrong I guess). Chinese elms would be a great first choice, they do everything any other deciduous tree does and are pretty much trouble free. I have a few as well and they’re very enjoyable to work with and a great starter d-tree 👍🏻

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Check out this for tridents. SeanS has done pretty cool things with tridents. He also has a nice one of Japanese maples.

Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh didn’t realize that 🤦‍♂️
Deciduous conifers are a pretty small club, Bald Cypress, Pond cypress, Dawn Redwood, Larch are the most notable. All produce seeds in cones like pines but drop their needles annually in the fall. Regular conifers aren't really evergreen, they just shed needles on a different time line and have replacements already in place.

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Deciduous conifers are a pretty small club, Bald Cypress, Pond cypress, Dawn Redwood, Larch are the most notable. All produce seeds in cones like pines but drop their needles annually in the fall. Regular conifers aren't really evergreen, they just shed needles on a different time line and have replacements already in place.
Thanks for explanation and makes more sense. I have read something about needles dropping like 3 year increments or something like that but going off memory. Don’t have much experience especially with conifers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
What would you suggest as a 1st deciduous tree for someone who works with and only has conifers thus far? (1 year+ into bonsai)

Is there one that tends to be “easier” to maintain health and prune for ramification? I’m surrounded by 2-3’ high Japanese Maple trees all day every day at work and I feel compelled to acquire a JM (not necessarily from the nursery I work at) as my first broad leaf bonsai.
Hmmm. Maybe crabapple?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just going to suggest the same, but I was thinking about a ginkgo. I also have all the others mentioned. All are easy money, at least for me.
I know someone will ask, or is thinking about what makes me say deciduous conifers are easy. Trees I consider easy are strong growers, respond well to manipulation and are easily propagated.

Top Bottom