Advise on this Yew Yamadori

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I am not very optimistic about the trunk revival either but just holding on to the last straw. I will keep it in the current location where it is shade and a little bit of sun that filters through my patio glass door in the evening. I will keep it there for all of August month and then move it a sunny spot. I believe in this six weeks of time, the trunk (if it is alive) would have formed enough roots needed for tiny amount of foliage it has.

If the leaves do not wilt off, then it is doing photosynthesis and hopefully the sugars will collect over winter to be used in Spring.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Let it dry out though and you will get a piece of wood to carve.

BTW, Thanks for wasting your own time here. People come to forums to ask question and get a two cents of experience of members. Unwanted Slant observation is useless. Hope and Patience is a virtue. Looks like in your life you have never done things which need patience and hope.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, Thanks for wasting your own time here. People come to forums to ask question and get a two cents of experience of members. Unwanted Slant observation is useless. Hope and Patience is a virtue. Looks like in your life you have never done things which need patience and hope.

Easy does it. You asked for opinions, complained you weren't getting any opinions, then gripe about the opinions you get? Remember it's hard to discern tone in emails. I certainly didn't read Paradox's post as being snarky, just honest.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I tried but could not find any neutral angle, let alone a positive one. Can you explain why there is a need to say "Let it dry out though and you will get a piece of wood to carve". It is nothing but slant observation.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I was not being sarcastic with that statement. Its a huge piece of wood, you might be able to make something nice out of it whether it lives or not.

You came here with basically a log taken out of the ground with little to no foliage or roots.
Do you want honest answers or sugar coated ones telling you what you want to hear?

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, if you say that then I will accept it. :)

Also just so that we can change this point, I will re-throw my question today.

I am not very optimistic about the trunk revival either but just holding on to the last straw. I will keep it in the current location where it is shade and a little bit of sun that filters through my patio glass door in the evening. I will keep it there for all of August month and then move it a sunny spot. I believe in this six weeks of time, the trunk (if it is alive) would have formed enough roots needed for tiny amount of foliage it has.

If the leaves do not wilt off, then it is doing photosynthesis and hopefully the sugars will collect over winter to be used in Spring.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for wasting your own time here.

If telling someone he's wasting his time, it's not wasting time.

If making someone understand that removing a nice, old tree from the wild means killing it, it's not a waste of time.

Hope and Patience is a virtue.

No, patience is a virtue, OK.

"Hope" is like "God", it's a belief.

If you believe you can turn a log meant for the fireplace into a "bonsai", you might as well kiss a toad and "hope" it'll turn into a princess.

In French, "culture" is the same world for "culture" and "cultivation".

First, learn how to cultivate trees, then perhaps one day you'll be "cultured'.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is much exaggerated ;)

Yes, it's "toxic", but you would have to ingest a big quantity of fresh bays to get intoxicated, a huge quantity of fresh leaves, and the dust from dead wood would require hundreds of cubic metres to make you sick; so don't get over-paranoid :confused:

Would you really want to take the chance? I forget where I heard it, but I did hear of a person that died from working on yews without proper safety protection.
It might be used as a treatment for cancer, but Im gona guess that its highly refined and synthesized from the yew tissues. They dont breathe yew sawdust to treat cancer.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
If making someone understand that removing a nice, old tree from the wild means killing it, it's not a waste of time.
If you believe you can turn a log meant for the fireplace into a "bonsai", you might as well kiss a toad and "hope" it'll turn into a princess.

I picked this from construction site, not wild. It was meant to go in skip so I saved it, not killed.
I am not believing this. I am just hoping. Hoping is always challenging and tries Patience.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Though CAUTION: Yews are toxic so wear a mask and goggles if you carve.

Would you really want to take the chance?

Of course I would :p

When I work with wood, making shelves with pine, or tables with oak or Ulmus, or any wood, of course I don't sniff in the sawdust. just common sense.

Top Bottom