Advice on stain types for outdoor stands

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hello all,

I searched the forum for stain advice but couldn't really find specifics. I made some individual stands for my trees from pressure treated 2x4's with 4x4 bases. I'd like them to be darker and was wondering what kind of stains would be best for the trees.

Is there anything that is too caustic (oil based) for the trees or are they ok?

I'd prefer a water based stain but want what will last in the elements...

What have you guys used to stain your benches/outdoor stands?

Thanks

Scott

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What have you guys used to stain your benches/outdoor stands?

I alternate yearly minwax stain, mahogany and indigo for a reddish to black look, normal stain off the shelf at HD. I Also give them a good coat of Thompsons All purpose waterproofing every two years. The Thompsons for wood sucks, get the all purpose.
If you decide two processes is a bit much Thompsons also has Waterproofing/Semi-Stain in several colors.

The planks pictured here on the right are an actual 3 1/2" x 12" x 6' horse drawn/sawed barn wood over 200 years old, the stands on the left are 235 year old cedar barn siding -

IMG_0539.JPG

Grimmy

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks Grimmy - excellent advice, I'm heading to HD today to do some shopping and my work is cut out for me this weekend!

Absolutely beautiful stands, and the age...oh my!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Hellsman or whatever it was stain is flaking off after summer two, hell, after winter one.

I look at it Sucking and think about Grimmy's benches.

Soon.

Sorce

flyinmanatee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Grimmy - excellent advice, I'm heading to HD today to do some shopping and my work is cut out for me this weekend!

Check out Orlando Bonsais youtube on bench making. I still stay away from the reds in the Florida sun even with the advances in coatings.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

There are more pieces and with 2 sawhorses and a few beers I manage to get them all done easily in one afternoon. I use a 220 sanding pad to just quickly score the surface and get junk off, more or less just wiping with it, nothing fancy. I wipe them off with an old towel, and apply the stain or water proofing with a disposable 3 inch bristle chip brush. Goes fast if you don't get to fussy. Way I see it they are not furniture and subject to the elements changing them a bit anyways...

Grimmy

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Check out Orlando Bonsais youtube on bench making

Yeah I saw that, thanks! Really enjoy his Youtube channel.

Way I see it they are not furniture and subject to the elements changing them a bit anyways...

Agree 100%. I'm normally OCD about things but given the nature of Bonsai, making things look old and rustic, a little weathering and uneven stain doesn't stress me out.

I used a Black Cherry stain by Varathane (similar to minwax) and will hit it with a Thompsons All Purpose seal. It was exactly what I pictured, they look so much better now!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used a Black Cherry stain by Varathane (similar to minwax) and will hit it with a Thompsons All Purpose seal. It was exactly what I pictured, they look so much better now!

Cool, post a picture, sounds nice. I received yet another reclaimed material to work with in Spring, Granite :rolleyes: the contractor across the street salvaged 3 of them from a site and brought them over. They will get a one time buff with white polishing compound and left to weather forever more. Nice sizes and chunky -

IMG_1650.JPG

Grimmy

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice sizes and chunky

Very nice, I love reclaimed material to work with. Nice granite.

So I have a total of 5 of these made, they are very stable and I'm pleased with the color...It's far better than the raw look, it distracted from the trees prior to staining.
View media item 4035

Top Bottom