Advice on New Cedar Elm

Graftolstoy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all, I am hoping for a little advice on a cedar elm I recently purchased from Wigert's Bonsai (it came well packed and in great condition). It is a collected cedar elm probably between 5-10 years old. Any help would be appreciated. I really like the tree, but there are several issues, at least in my inexpert oppinion that will require some work. First, it seems too tall for its trunk, especially given the lack of lower branching. Second, while it has quite a bit of movement, it is hard to find a front since the major curves are at an almost 90 degree angle of each other. Finally, there are some clumps of branches that might result in reverse taper.
Do you think that I should airlayer this tree right above where the first branch starts? Should I make cuts now, or, would letting the tree grow for a year be better? Anything else I should consider?Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post, short and sweet is not my forte.IMG_1189.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 37

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Let it acclimate to your place. Don't do anything radical this year.

Nice looking tree, enjoy as-is this year.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may ultimately want to take it down to that first branch. It should bud lower on the trunk, which will allow you to build better proportions. You could layer off the top as part of this process. Extra tree.

Graftolstoy

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I will follow your recommendation, and simply let it acclimate to its new home for a year while hoping for some lower back budding. As I am new to bonsai (last year I only cared for a few seedlings and prebonsai without doing any design work) I am really focused on making sure I know how to take care of trees before rushing into any styling decisions. Speaking of acclimatization to its new home , as I am in New York, I am wondering the best way to keep it safe for the remainder of this winter/spring. I have an unheated garage where I can protect it as it gradually gets used to its new home. What temperature would you say is safe to leave it outside? In addition, would repotting this spring make sense? Andrew told me that it was repotted at the beginning of last year. It is not root bound, but it is in the nursery potting soil that is not bad but is somewhat compacted and has slowish drainage. I've read that cedar elms develop roots quite rapidly and recover well from root work, so perhaps a repotting would be the right choice.
Also, I agree with you Nicholas, I do like its interesting shape and movement, so am trying to figure out ways I can accentuate these features or incorporate them into a unified image. Obviously, much of this depends on if and where the buds emerge from this year, but if you have any suggestions or potential directions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, thank you Zach for your comments, it was actually your blog about best bonsai species for beginners that led me to buy a cedar elm. Am I correct in assuming that if I do get budding on the lower section of the tree, I should allow all of these to develop for at least a year before making any cuts?

Grutherg_David

Seedling
Reaction score
35 degrees ferenhiet should be safe make shure it is getting sun once local deciduois trees start leafing out in my experience early spring can be quite importent with elms but i lean on the side of caution cause i work with a deferent veriety and live in california so what do i know

Top Bottom