Acer Shirasawanum Full Moon Maple

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I bought an Acer Shirasawanum Fullmoon Maple last year. I think it will be a nice bonsai but it will take many years because they have big leaves don't they? Has any one got any of these as bonsai? Any pictures?

I have a question about their roots as mine had been grafted. I thought they would be strong enough on their own roots but as this has been grafted, I wonder. Any thoughts? Mine didn't put on very much growth last year so I'm going to repot this spring and put it in a bigger container and maybe setup an airlayer late spring if you guys think it would be better in its own roots.

Thanks all

Andy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had one once, the leaves are just lovely. I was a very long time ago, and I had no idea what I was doing....so can't help you with your question, but they are certainly worth trying.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see these at the nurseries a lot and have always wondered about them. The leaves are so nice.

Don't be too put off by the fact it's grafted. All of these special cultivars are going to be grafted, doesn't mean that some won't be able to live on their own roots. I'm not familiar with how well they do though.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There will be some A.s. Autumn Moons available next year on their own feet.
I don't plan to divulge from where till I get mine ordered.
I have one in my yard that's grafted, but it doesn't offer much to layer.

I would like to know the cold hardiness of the ungrafted cultivars.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There will be some A.s. Autumn Moons available next year on their own feet.
I don't plan to divulge from where till I get mine ordered.
I have one in my yard that's grafted, but it doesn't offer much to layer.

I would like to know the cold hardiness of the ungrafted cultivars.

That's is certainly one I'd love to have - I may break down and get a grafted one for my yard and try doing air layering or cuttings if I can't get one on it's own roots. They are so pretty.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's is certainly one I'd love to have - I may break down and get a grafted one for my yard and try doing air layering or cuttings if I can't get one on it's own roots. They are so pretty.
Have you tried Bill Valavanis (= International Bonsai)?
I am aware of at least two significant full moon bonsai he has made. He also prides himself on supplying many ungrafted Japanese maple cultivars, IMHO.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried Bill Valavanis (= International Bonsai)?
I am aware of at least two significant full moon bonsai he has made. He also prides himself on supplying many ungrafted Japanese maple cultivars, IMHO.

No, I am not familiar with him but I will go look him up, thank you. I am very recently returned to trying my hand at bonsai after more than 25 year break so there is much for me to learn about. I appreciate the recommendation. Japanese maples are among my very favorite trees. Definitely a focus of mine to learn as much as I can about developing them as bonsai. Large and small.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hi Hyn Patty,
I have caught the JM bug.
After advice here about only growing the green JM, as they are the most vigorous, I still can’t get past having more cultivars and persuing the vision of growing these as bonsai on their own roots.
So having propagation facilities I thought I was on a winner, BUT with temperature too warm, IBA not strong enough and lastly rooting media slightly wrong too. Pure perlite or straight pumice would work better than mixing bark fines with perlite. IBA needs to be 1-2% not 0.3% etc. And my guess if temps more than 25 degrees C stalls things too.
Also can’t get roots on Shindeshojo, Chishio, or Beni Hime (dwarf ), although IBA has not been strong enough (75 cuttings of each - 0% rooted lol).
If this list below helps then great, no worries if not. The thumbs up is ones I have had success with.
0B8141B1-C5CE-4AD4-8692-A4858FB82921.png
Charles

Edit- Acer burgeranium (Trident) - forgot thumbs up as yes it does root ok.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a nice list, thank you! Everyone here has been very warm, welcoming, encouraging, and helpful. Thank you very, very much. I really appreciate it. I only have Bloodgood so far and I put town a ton of cuttings from it and a few of them are doing fine. There was a lovely green JM on our former property and I should have taken cuttings from it as well. I ordered Trident maple and Japanese maple seeds from TreeSeeds.com so I'll soon have plenty of those growing in NC. For our new home I want to put in a few JM cultivars for the garden in general but if they can /also/ provide material for bonsai, then all the better.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is a nice list, thank you! Everyone here has been very warm, welcoming, encouraging, and helpful. Thank you very, very much. I really appreciate it. I only have Bloodgood so far and I put town a ton of cuttings from it and a few of them are doing fine. There was a lovely green JM on our former property and I should have taken cuttings from it as well. I ordered Trident maple and Japanese maple seeds from TreeSeeds.com so I'll soon have plenty of those growing in NC. For our new home I want to put in a few JM cultivars for the garden in general but if they can /also/ provide material for bonsai, then all the better.
Since you appear to be moving to NC, you might want to check out Mr.Maple. They are located in Hendersonville, NC. They do mail order but also take visits by appointment. They don't grow for bonsai, but have pretty much the largest selection of maple cultivars available. They are having an annual open house Memorial day.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you appear to be moving to NC, you might want to check out Mr.Maple. They are located in Hendersonville, NC. They do mail order but also take visits by appointment. They don't grow for bonsai, but have pretty much the largest selection of maple cultivars available. They are having an annual open house Memorial day.

Thank you, I will! Hendersonville will only be about an hour away from where we'll be. I'll look them up if they are online and keep them in mind, thanks.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
So, is air-layering (or cuttings) possible with GFM maple?
I've been told by 2 very experienced people that, although cuttings will root easily, they are very hard to grow after that or to get big enough to be healthy on their own.

Top Bottom