Acer p. d. "Baby Lace?

robrizok

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi all, Has anyone tried a Bonsai from an Acer p. d. "Baby Lace"? the leaves are small and finely cut, weeping habit. Thoughts?

Personally, as a fellow noob, my philosophy (which I'm certain will change as I learn and gain experience) is that if the tree interests or fascinates you give it a shot. I'm tired of killing trees myself, so I've started learning everything I can about a species before I try to do anything with it. I would look for other threads discussing Japanese Maple care, and ask questions of members who have experience with them. I could be wrong (I'm usually not, except where bonsai is concerned), but I think most cultivars have more or less the same care requirements.
It sounds like a beautiful tree. If I get to a point where I figure out how to grow them in my dry air, I'd love to try it myself.

Steer clear of named cultivars. Use standard green Acer palmatum. Named cultivars are pretty to look at, but they're more susceptible to disease and adverse weather. As a beginner, you should set yourself up for success with less less finicky trees, or at least grow both the cultivar and the species type, so you're not putting all your eggs into one flimsy basket.

I assume this is grafted. I'm not familiar with the cultivar, but laceleaf maples are generally difficult to airlayer. This means you will likely have an ugly graft scar

Steer clear of named cultivars. Use standard green Acer palmatum. Named cultivars are pretty to look at, but they're more susceptible to disease and adverse weather. As a beginner, you should set yourself up for success with less less finicky trees, or at least grow both the cultivar and the species type, so you're not putting all your eggs into one flimsy basket.
This. And IMO plain vanilla green JM are really nice trees (and plenty finicky as well).

This. And IMO plain vanilla green JM are really nice trees (and plenty finicky as well).

I've been growing Japanese maples from seed and subjecting them, unprotected, to the normal winter and spring conditions in my area. The ones that survive (if any) will eventually become bonsai. I don't care for trees that need to be babied, except for a handful of tropicals that I bring indoors, so I can enjoy some green in the winter.

Great suggestion on growing both the Acer Palmatum species along with interesting cultivars. I have many cultivars. I think it is best to use ones that are proven to be good/great for bonsai as they are probably a better bet. On the other hand you can explore the wider world of bonsai if you don't put on them expectations. Now I have heard that baby lace is a wimp of a tree hard to keep alive. A collector's tree if you would. There are a good many cultivars that are harder to keep and I would only suggest for the serious collector and definitely not as bonsai. Here is a short list of the notoriously hard to keep. Taylor, Geisha, Baby Lace, and I forget. Generally the more ornamental one is the tougher it is to keep. Some have issues with reversion so must be pruned to pattern, not easy if your also trying to shape for bonsai. I was just on maple forum's trying to find more examples and information on japanese maples myself. Without trying to be a salesman a couple places to source stock and information are evergreengardenworks.com and Mr Maple.com. Brent at evergreengardenworks.com sells cuttings of many different types and not just maples. They are already on their own roots so your off to a great start. The brothers at MrMaple rarely sell cuttings, but every once in a while they do. They do have a section for maples they suggest for bonsai and also huge YouTube videos. There are a few just for bonsai.
All that being said "Always follow your heart, but use your head" it's good to do what you want, but find out as much as you can before you jump.

Great suggestion on growing both the Acer Palmatum species along with interesting cultivars. I have many cultivars. I think it is best to use ones that are proven to be good/great for bonsai as they are probably a better bet. On the other hand you can explore the wider world of bonsai if you don't put on them expectations. Now I have heard that baby lace is a wimp of a tree hard to keep alive. A collector's tree if you would. There are a good many cultivars that are harder to keep and I would only suggest for the serious collector and definitely not as bonsai. Here is a short list of the notoriously hard to keep. Taylor, Geisha, Baby Lace, and I forget. Generally the more ornamental one is the tougher it is to keep. Some have issues with reversion so must be pruned to pattern, not easy if your also trying to shape for bonsai. I was just on maple forum's trying to find more examples and information on japanese maples myself. Without trying to be a salesman a couple places to source stock and information are evergreengardenworks.com and Mr Maple.com. Brent at evergreengardenworks.com sells cuttings of many different types and not just maples. They are already on their own roots so your off to a great start. The brothers at MrMaple rarely sell cuttings, but every once in a while they do. They do have a section for maples they suggest for bonsai and also huge YouTube videos. There are a few just for bonsai.
All that being said "Always follow your heart, but use your head" it's good to do what you want, but find out as much as you can before you jump.
Thanks for taking the time to offer some great advice.

Forgot that MrMaple has new trees all the time if you check them out. Maplestone Ornamentals is another dealer that sells grafted trees. If you buy a graft it's best to take cuttings or air-layers for bonsai

Back
Top Bottom