Accidentally topped by Alberta Spruce (Overpruned)

SpruceWillis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Everyone,

No, I'm not an expert, and yes, I only watched the first 1/3 of a Heron's Bonsai video on pruning/wiring my first spruce before giving it a shot. Obligatory "I butchered it" and "I know it looks horrible" - please help me!

I accidentally topped the tree before reading that this was a horrible mistake. I've attached a photo from right after pruning, and as you can see it's not pretty (I thought I killed it).

Fast forward a month, and all the new buds are exploding with growth! I'm somehow very pleased with the progress in a month, and it doesn't seem like I killed the tree.

HOWEVER, the top is now a giant concern for me.... I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking maybe I can grow out one of the top branches and wire it to come over the top, making some sort of funky pad design?

My other thought was learning how to do some sort of deadwood, and turn the top 1/4 of the tree into something worthwhile.

The problem, of course, is that I have no idea what I'm talking about! I dare you to google "topped alberta spruce" - all i seem to find are articles on why death is imminent.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 86
the tree looks okay to me. Looks like it has plenty of foliage. You already said it, just have to work on your wiring technique. IF you did over prune it, nothing can really be done except for managing any symptoms as they come. From my experience over pruning doesn’t kill a tree UNLESS it’s already super stressed out from some other reason. Pruning too quickly after a previous prune can weaken trees for sure.

the tree looks okay to me. Looks like it has plenty of foliage. You already said it, just have to work on your wiring technique. IF you did over prune it, nothing can really be done except for managing any symptoms as they come. From my experience over pruning doesn’t kill a tree UNLESS it’s already super stressed out from some other reason. Pruning too quickly after a previous prune can weaken trees for sure.
Thanks for the reply Scrogdor!

This is my first post, so you're officially the most helpful person I've ever encountered on here, lol.

Seems like my best course of action would be to let it grow for a while and reassess?

Very curious to see how it grows in.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply Scrogdor!

This is my first post, so you're officially the most helpful person I've ever encountered on here, lol.

Seems like my best course of action would be to let it grow for a while and reassess?

Very curious to see how it grows in.

Thanks again!
No problem! Just started my journey here last year, love these forums!

That’s what I would do. Focus on proper watering, make sure it a getting the correct amount of sun. Endless amounts of info on these forums, so definitely take a look and see if you can find something similar to your situation.

(Also, that’s an awesome name)

Yea it looks like you removed a lot of foliage but the tree looks like it was healthy when you started.

So really the only thing you can do is water the tree when it needs it and wait.
If it recovers, great. If it doesnt, well chalk it up to your first bonsai lesson learned, get another tree and try again without making the same mistake

I did the same thing with mine watched his vid and off I went. Luck mine survived About time to rewire

Attachments

• 20220623_184651.jpg
    20220623_184651.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 55
One suggestion. You could use 1 guy wire on that lower right branch and save that huge cable of wires. 27FD8FBC-B46D-4C07-91F0-3A2B9E710CD7.jpeg

Great idea! Would it be worth taking it off right now? Or maybe the next wire? Not sure how long I should wait between wirings
Well, I would say it takes about a year for a branch like that to set in place. However you’re just swapping it out, so it really doesn’t matter. Just create the same bend.

Back
Top Bottom