A view of the trash - Ficus ROR

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
About two years ago I spotted a small ficus growing in a tiny crack between the cement blocks at the top of the trash area of my office (in SWFL). It didn't have any soil but there must have been enough moisture in the cement block wall to keep it alive for a while. I thought, why not make it a bonsai one day.

The trash area.
IMG_1625_s.jpg

I planted the ficus in a pot where it has been for the past 1.5 years until this opportunity came around. I believe it is a ficus benjamina but it could be something else.

The inspiration...obviously not getting anywhere close to this in three years but maybe one day it will resemble this tree in a smaller scale.
Ficus on rock Bonsai style (Seki-joju).jpg

The tree, rock and container...
IMG_2547.jpg

Ficus Benjamina (I think)
IMG_2549.jpg

Everything together
IMG_2552.jpg

I will wire the branches in a couple months when the afternoon rains start in May. By then it should have recovered from the stress of only have 30% of its roots in the soil as it does right now.

We'll see how the next three years go with the project!

I think you can achieve that in 3 years being in Florida if you do it right. I would cover the whole with soil now to speed up the root growth and open it every year to see where you are.

Ficus are quite happy with exposed roots. The roots seem to thicken whether they are above or below ground so I wouldn't bother covering these. In the open you can check and make any adjustments as they grow.
Ficus are generally extremely good for ROR. It's part of their natural habitat so roots thicken rapidly and trunks and branches develop real quick.

It is quite normal for ficus to germinate and grow in cracks in walls, tree forks, bridges, etc where conditions are suitable. Lots grow in roof gutters and can get quite big in just a couple of years. Most species are also very easy to collect. Even if you cannot get the roots they grow so well as cuttings that sawing the trunk off at the wall and planting the top will often result in a live tree.

Look forward to seeing the ROR develop.

I considered burying the rock to speed up the growth but because it’s hot and humid here, I believe it will be growing pretty strong in a couple months once the roots get established in the soil. I did use some spagnum moss in various places around the trunk to keep it moist for now.

This is my first ficus and ROR so I’ll be pretty attentive to it when I’m not at work.

Back
Top Bottom