A Ponderosa before and after

Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0319.JPG This is my one and only Ponderosa. It's hard to get over the long needles but I still really appreciate the species. The before picture was last fall 2016 and the after was today fall 2017. If you look close you can see the rebar, which I used with a jack to bend the main trunk this spring. Let me know your thoughts or tips.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 164546 View attachment 164547 This is my one and only Ponderosa. It's hard to get over the long needles but I still really appreciate the species. The before picture was last fall 2016 and the after was today fall 2017. If you look close you can see the rebar, which I used with a jack to bend the main trunk this spring. Let me know your thoughts or tips.
You can always graft better foliage on it later.
Nice tree though.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the windswept look of it! I think in the years to come, you can get the foliage size down. I like reading Nik Lentz's book, and seeing how many years he put into each tree. These are long term projects for sure!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matty Matt!

I think it's ugly.....

But....

That has absolutely nothing to do with the future of this tree in your hands!

Well done!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matty Matt!

I think it's ugly.....

But....

That has absolutely nothing to do with the future of this tree in your hands!

Well done!

Sorce

haha! I like the honesty, ugly wasn't what I was going for but maybe in time.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I love work that requires rebar and bending jacks! Good trunk movement and branch placement. Now, clean up the foliage pads a bit by removing old needles and those that hang down and let’s see another photo. You have a few hours before Michigan upsets Penn State.:p

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I think you have done very well considering what you started with, tall, lean, sparse and scattered foliage...
I like the trunk movement, the consolidation of foliage, the overall look is very Bonsai....
One suggestion is I would take some pruning scissors to most of the lengthy needles....just a thought.
Well done and not even remotely ugly...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tip @Brian Van Fleet I did one round of clean up but I think you are right it is a cluster of foliage that needs some more cleaning. It really has back budded a lot in the 2 1/2 years I've had it.

Its amazing what trees can recover from, the trunk that was bent is a really old and thick piece. I compacted it with the Jack over a period of about 1 month.

Also I didn't use rafia I have learned from Ryan Neil that Ponderosa will split before it cracks and rafia doesn't help.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
One suggestion is I would take some pruning scissors to most of the lengthy needles....just a thought.
NO!!! That’s trading a natural “defect” for an unnatural one. More buds = more needles = smaller needles. Patience.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I am as impressed with the vision it took to see what the bending would produce as with the really hard to do bend. I have seen a pondy Andy Smith has that has much reduced needle length, so it can be done. Tree to be proud of!

Top Bottom