A Maple for Ray and Eric

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The left trunk looks the thickest - ergo shouldn't it be the tallest ?

what makes you say that?? (not attacking your comment ... just wanting to know what makes you think that is the case)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Marie, are you perhaps thinking of the theoretical ideals for a forest grouping, where the heaviest tree is also the tallest?

I think this is mostly for aspect, as in a forest you are portraying vast distances, and creating (false) perspective, by making the trees in such a way that the distance is perceivable to your eye. Not really applicable to a clump, as they're all at the same plane...

For me, it would seem off balance to have the left trunk be tallest.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And fully leafed out, this one has such good spring color I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 128

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I miss eric...

In updating this tree, I remember how much he and Vic brought to the table. I miss them both.

Anyway, I just shot my winter pics for my progressions. This one I think is actually needing to be cut back and restarted, as some of the bad aspects now stand out to me too much. Easy enough to cut back the left one to the lower branch, it will be done this winter. The center trunk and the right trunk are more problematic. I don't think I like the big kink in the middle trunk but don't think cutting back to the lower branch will work as it's such an off angle. The lower branch on the center trunk obviously needs cut back hard as well, was trying to fatten it... The right trunk also seems too heavy. I would like opinions on what you would consider doing if this were your tree.

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 106

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Judy. I think the thing right now that bothers me the most is the fact that the thinnest trunk is also the tallest. I agree with you that in a clump, you can have shorter trunks in the front. However they should not be the taller ones since it throws off the visual balance. I am all for breaking the rules but this one is very tough, if ever, to make it work. The composition also has a somewhat symmetrical arrangement which I think is easy to fix.

Would it be too much to ask to post other angles of your tree? BTW clump arrangements happen to be one of my favorite styles. Very difficult to get quality ones in the US. I've looked!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know if there is anything better to work with, but here are the photos of other sides. I'm very interested in your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 82

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And since you are a big fan of clumps (me too) here is a pic of my favorite one I've ever seen. One of Don's, isn't it fabulous?!

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 110

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I actually like the current back as the front (in considering Mach5's comments about the skinny trunk looking out of place in the front of the clump). In addition, I think the base looks stronger from that side and is more clearly a part of the right-hand trunk (left-hand trunk from your current front). I wonder if that skinny trunk could be bent downward so that it forms something of a leaning trunk to the left or right of one of the other two... waiting to see what Mach5 says :)

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I too like the back as the front. It reduces the thinness on the centeral trunk. It also has decent flare at the base too. I kinda dont like the long branch on the center trunk. My eyes keep going back to it. I do like seeing the thicker right trunk being in the front on the current back too.

Dusty

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes I also agree with the "back" being a better front Judy. I was just uploading a nice virt for you but somehow I lost it! :mad:

When I get a chance I will do another and I'll post it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am in agreement with the back as the front, but there are many more large chop sites visible from that side, as well as the movement goes away from that side. That is why I started working the current front. I suppose all can be fixed with time. M5, sorry you lost that virt!!! Hope it was a quick one.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting material.

I have to agree with the back being the better front. The front you chose, with the thinner trunk in the middle just doesnt look right and it is too symetrical. It would take time, but Id work on making the other side the front. In the long run, it will be a much nicer tree imo.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Judy I was able to sort of recreate what I had done last night. This is what I see in your material right now. It will take time. Long term project that's probably 10 to 15 years away. If you do end up using the "back" as the new front, you definitely will have to bring the right trunk forwards. Looking at its current angle I think it's very doable if you do it progressively. As far as the large scar, I think it will heal given proper development of the tree and in time it will blend in. Of course make sure the cut is cleaned out properly for a better and "prettier" scar.

As is often the case in bonsai, this is only one solution to probably a few at hand :)

CLUMP STYLE MAPLE VIRT.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, that is an excellent idea, I never thought of minimizing the center trunk but I think it works nicely. I'm sure I can do this, may take a while, but this is def. doable for me.
Thanks for re-doing that virt, I know it takes time and no small skill to do it.
I wonder if it would be best to just start the right trunk over....?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No problem Judy :) I personally would try first to work with what you have and not re-start the right trunk. I would wire and/or cut back all three trunks to the right places and let it go for a while. Using then a combination of back budding and thread grafts to set your new structure in place.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
attachment.php

I must say I really like this plan! Judy, I'm sure that wound will heal over just fine given the proper treatment, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this tree! (no pressure, though ;) )

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Daygan, I really like this plan too. I'm fortunate that people will take the time to help me out with things like this. And what a great drawing too. I'm now excited about this tree.....

Top Bottom