A couple of reds..

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work so far, imagination and movement all over:D. Short on needles though.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I like those a lot. Great bark and movement. How long has it taken you to get them to this stage?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am finally getting to the stage where I can start playing with these seed grown pines. It's been a long wait but I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

View attachment 141744

View attachment 141745

View attachment 141746

View attachment 141747

What do you mean saying "can start playing with them"? When I look at the trunks and those curved brittle branches I can see a lot of good work already done. Inspirative lines, taking mine to the table...

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What do you mean saying "can start playing with them"? When I look at the trunks and those curved brittle branches I can see a lot of good work already done. Inspirative lines, taking mine to the table...
I mean after digging them from the growing beds and getting them established in a pot, I can start to get into the proper shaping. The rest of the time I just concerned myself with trunk thickening and creating taper etc. You know, all the boring stuff.
Once you get to the second and third ramification, the fun starts.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I mean after digging them from the growing beds and getting them established in a pot, I can start to get into the proper shaping. The rest of the time I just concerned myself with trunk thickening and creating taper etc. You know, all the boring stuff.
Once you get to the second and third ramification, the fun starts.

Thanks for your response. So then are those curves on branches natural, no wiring so far? I can't believe the mother nature's done it for you.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The trunk movement, taper and bark are really nice on that first one, but the primary branch (specifically the upward angle it exits the trunk) ruins the tree for me. I think you'd improve the tree considerably by removing it entirely, and replacing it with the branch just above it. That branch is still thin enough that you could instill some movement into it and compliment the trunk.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with BVT to a degree however it really depends on the viewing angle of the Bonsai...
I think the 3rd picture shows best for the overall look...
Once the needle foliage become dense it will become a great Bonsai...

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. So then are those curves on branches natural, no wiring so far? I can't believe the mother nature's done it for you.
No they have beed roughly wired at some stage but I can't really remember when or how. The trunk movement was basically by cutting for directional change.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The trunk movement, taper and bark are really nice on that first one, but the primary branch (specifically the upward angle it exits the trunk) ruins the tree for me. I think you'd improve the tree considerably by removing it entirely, and replacing it with the branch just above it. That branch is still thin enough that you could instill some movement into it and compliment the trunk.
That's funny. That's my favourite part of the tree! It goes up then out toward the front before it sweeps down. I see it as the trees most interesting future feature.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree with BVT to a degree however it really depends on the viewing angle of the Bonsai...
I think the 3rd picture shows best for the overall look...
Once the needle foliage become dense it will become a great Bonsai...
Bolero, that's a different tree.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's funny. That's my favourite part of the tree! It goes up then out toward the front before it sweeps down. I see it as the trees most interesting future feature.
Definitely a feature, though I would like to see the entire branch. The movement is lost at the section coming directly forward. And is it just the photo or is the tree leaning backwards? Makes me want to see it from a few more angles. Great growing, as usual!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is fantastic. Those needle clusters could cut glass!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with you on this, the branch is interesting and defining for the design, i would not remove it

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 or so years in a pot from seed, then about 6 in the ground, then about 3 in a pot. Something like that.

While it was in the ground did you ever lift it to keep the roots in check (like you would a maple) or did you just let it grow for the full 6 years?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
While it was in the ground did you ever lift it to keep the roots in check (like you would a maple) or did you just let it grow for the full 6 years?
Yes every 2 years.

Top Bottom