5yr Native Tree, Native Pot Challenge Jmontee's Gumbo Limbo (Bursera simaruba)

Jmontee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so here's my entry. I live in Miami so gumbo limbo is about as native as you can get. LOL I initially collected this by sawing it away from a large branch that had been cut by landscapers. I literally just planted the large stump with the three main branches coming from the trunk. There was a 4th large branch but I didn't like the position or the fact that it was an even number of large main branches. all of the smaller branches with leaves were grown from the main ones since I potted it in May 2021. I am currently working on getting lots of ramification and going for an African style like Pierneef or baobab style. I just recently defoliated and wired a bit. Haven't picked out a pot yet but will do that in the next year or two. Here are some pics:

20220509_182908.jpg20220602_181918.jpg20220602_181937.jpg20220602_181946.jpg20220602_182002.jpg

Nice!
I’m trying a couple of these too they seem tough and the bark looks cool so if we can get them to ramify a bit they should be interesting

I'm excited to see where you take your Gumbo Limbo. They are super interesting but the compound leaf always scared me to work with as a bonsai :D.

I have a few I’m working on.
None as nice as the one @Jmontee posted here though.
But it shouldn’t take too many years to get something interesting. They grow quickly and are tough.

Back
Top Bottom