Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another pot from Sara R. and one from Nitju clay works, Ross Adams

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Boy am I tired. Helped load trees non stop for 3+ hours. Great time at the show meeting many new people and many thanks especially to Jeff for my whole 2+ months in Chicago and Owen for giving me great insight as a bonsai pro. I have a lot of pictures and will get up a post on my blog within the week.

20170820_102909.jpg

20170820_133333.jpg

20170820_174543.jpg

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
The show was great. Girlfriend finally understood why i am so fascinated with this hobby. I think. Lol. Beautiful trees and amazing selection of vendors. Did anyone else see the ponderosa for sale at the one booth? Priced at 7200 and for anyone with the money wouldve been well worth it. Im terrible at remembering names, but the collector and seller was from Deadwood, sd. Famous collector.
I just wish i had more funds. I wouldve walked out of there gleaming with trees in tow and an unsettled gf. Lol

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Watched Kathy Shaner' demo and met a lot of new people at the banquet.

Lot of love for Kathy, but I don't really like this particular design. I personally would have gone further...

Where Kathy ended:

design1.jpg

Directionally where I would have taken the tree:

design2.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have always heard wonderful things about Kathy but I have never seen a piece of work she has designed. If anyone has pictures of one I would sincerely love to see it.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I discussed with many other people and foresaw 2 paths the tree could be styled in. One would be reducing the top half of the tree and creating a tenjin and utilizing the thick lower branch to build the entire tree. I recall she did mention in the future or if the top ever died back the tree could be taken on this path. The other option would be to reduce the length of the lower branch and create a more elegant almost bunjin look.

Kathy discussed a lot about preserving the way the tree was growing and using that as a guideline for styling. Her intention was to build 2 apexes (maybe 3?), one from the lower branch and from the top. She did not do much detail wiring, mainly just setting primary and secondary branches in place. I do not know the gentleman who won the tree in the raffle but if I ever see the tree again in the future I'll post a pic so we can see where the design was taken.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am in Fairview Heights this weekend. Going over to Waterloo, IL for the Solar Eclipse on Monday. Talked to the guys at Cass Bonsai yesterday, can never remember their names. They are closed this weekend, so I guess no chance to stop by their place. :(
Shoot, wish I would have seen this Sat. I'm only 35 minutes or so from Fairview. You could have come over for dinner. Milt and Brian at Cass are super nice guys, and it's like 7 miles from my house.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shoot, wish I would have seen this Sat. I'm only 35 minutes or so from Fairview. You could have come over for dinner. Milt and Brian at Cass are super nice guys, and it's like 7 miles from my house.

Stopped by the house my great grandfather built in Signal Hill, my grandfather built a house next door that my father lived in till he was 9. They than moved to Mobile, AL as my grandfather worked for the GM&O RR.

I would have liked meet you, but in talking to Brian, Cass was closed this past weekend, as they where in Chicago for the show. I would have Sent you a PM if they had been open about meeting. Maybe next time we head down. My daughter had a lot of fun and wants to go back with my wife.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Stopped by the house my great grandfather built in Signal Hill, my grandfather built a house next door that my father lived in till he was 9. They than moved to Mobile, AL as my grandfather worked for the GM&O RR.
That's very cool. Unless there is a class or something special, you generally need to make an appointment to go there. They don't live where the nursery is. @Stickroot has been very gracious about letting me know when he is going, so I can tag along.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bleumeon

I was thinking about slip potting the three small trees I picked up into pond baskets. Should I use NAPA? or should I put it into dirt as they are in potting soil now?

Also, should I tease out the roots on the edges?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Just need to find a tree to put in there now.

Does not look anything like the cream pot you were described you wanted to find.
This one won't be for the oak, maybe one of my smaller shohin junipers or for a future tree. I'll PM you on the other post as to not derail the thread.

Top Bottom