30yrs from a cutting: Shimpaku

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here's a quick view of a Shimpaku that I've grown from a cutting 1991. It was a cutting from a tree that Dean Akinson of MI owned. I've photoshopped the top to show how I will trim it this Spring affording it a better height in relation to the trunk, body, and pot. It should come down even more for better proportion, yet that is more future. I realize a lot of folks take large air layers yet at the time, Michigan was quite devoid of Shimpaku for purchase. Here in CA it's a shrub in a lot of folks landscape!

Attachments

• IMG_0991a.jpg
    IMG_0991a.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0991a copy.jpg
    IMG_0991a copy.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 219
Neat. Did you grow it out in a bonsai style pot the whole time or did you do training pots for awhile?

Cheap, yep simple bonsai pot the whole damn time! (I do know to place in ground and grow a hudge truck and repot later as I did with seedlings of Pineus Thunbergii 45 yrs ago.....yet not enough room in the old yard for that stuff so it went from pot to pot and root bound to root trim etc.

One of the things that new folks do is not have enough stuff moving so they fuss with the few trees that they do have way too much. Of course the idea is to have stuff in the ground (growing bed) and in pots etc. So as to be fulfilled yet having things growing for the future too. Heck I'm still planting seeds (don't ask me why at nearly 75yrs old) but the development is where it is at. I took a decent size about 1.5" [4cm] root cutting from a Ulmus last spring and this year it gets a bonsai pot and some nice styling. I'll post it later when I do such.

I always enjoy watching things grow, and when it’s from seed or a cutting, it’s even more interesting. Pretty cool tree!

Back
Top Bottom