2nd bald cypress attemp

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your response, screenshot(ed). I'll check my tree tomorrow. Truly, I've got this issue of dropping branches in dormancy with a dawn redwood too, they BC and DR both were repotted some three years ago. With the DR the issue is even worse, I've got only three? branches wired in three years, the rest are always one year old branches that don't last till next spring.
Pictures of what is dropping would help.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Growing out of the cut paste. Love seeing new growth especially after a big cut down.
View attachment 152043
View attachment 152044

Wow, that Bud breaking through the split in the trunk is an incredible shot. Most people who don't do Bonsai or don't pay attention to trees and how they grow would see that and be like, "So What?" When anyone in this post sees that, they know that bud has the potential to be something beautiful and essential to the design of a tree. I didn't mean to get all Oprah on it, but it's moments like viewing that picture that really give me a sense of great appreciation for the art. Thank you for sharing that. And hold on to that little guy. I just wish I could see that on a few of my trees. LOL

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that Bud breaking through the split in the trunk is an incredible shot. Most people who don't do Bonsai or don't pay attention to trees and how they grow would see that and be like, "So What?" When anyone in this post sees that, they know that bud has the potential to be something beautiful and essential to the design of a tree. I didn't mean to get all Oprah on it, but it's moments like viewing that picture that really give me a sense of great appreciation for the art. Thank you for sharing that. And hold on to that little guy. I just wish I could see that on a few of my trees. LOL
Thanks @BeebsBonsai
I love seeing the buds popping out and a couple of them are in a spot that I would like to have a branch. My non bonsai friend like the trees but could care less about new buds. Its fun for me seeing new growth and maybe one day someone can read this thread and see that small bud turn into a branch years later.

Its also nice to see a positive post like yours. Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
see ya... good luck

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, I'll document it, will take a fall and spring pictures.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tub of water really helps, doesn't it?
Its working awesome. Hoping to get knees one day. Time will tell.

Bottom lower left foliage pad is starting to take shape. Still a few more shoots to wire but there not long enough yet.
20170713_124555.jpg
20170713_124603.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple more pictures. Design is changing. Will be add more branches. Some for pads and some just for jin's.
View attachment 153293
View attachment 153294

Would you consider throwing an aquarium bubbler into the water tub? whenever I see a photo of a BC in water I can't help but think they would love that. Of course I've never even seen one in real life much less grown one but still, how come nobody tries this?

Nice to see yours doing well.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider throwing an aquarium bubbler into the water tub? whenever I see a photo of a BC in water I can't help but think they would love that. Of course I've never even seen one in real life much less grown one but still, how come nobody tries this?

Nice to see yours doing well.
You never know they may love and aquarium bubbler? My method is working well for me so far.

Reaction score
Hi, excuse me for entering in this forum but I am new to the page and didn't know how to star one of my own. My question is BC related and I think some of you might help.
I bought this BC from a nursery here in Miami last December when it was dormant. It was like 8" tall before I chopped it down. As you can see it has no problem coming back from dormancy but recently the leafs look pale green and suddenly an already established branch like the one on the bottom left dies completely. I did some research and find that chlorosis might be the cause but I am not completely sure. I don't know if I need to re pot the tree and if so, what type of soil to use. 20170718_070141.jpg

Reaction score
I also have this joung BC that I collected in the wild this past winter that I think has also a very pale green foliage. 20170718_070228.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome @Mauricio Gonzalez . You should start a thread at "other deciduous" Go there at click "post new thread". Enter a title and tell people your new and need some help with a cypress. 99.9% of the people do bald cypress different than what I'm doing so many don't watch this thread. If you start your own thread you should get more help. Also I'm new with bald cypress and don't want to give you wrong advice. Be sure to put your location down. Helps to determine what could be wrong with your trees.

Reaction score
Welcome @Mauricio Gonzalez . You should start a thread at "other deciduous" Go there at click "post new thread". Enter a title and tell people your new and need some help with a cypress. 99.9% of the people do bald cypress different than what I'm doing so many don't watch this thread. If you start your own thread you should get more help. Also I'm new with bald cypress and don't want to give you wrong advice. Be sure to put your location down. Helps to determine what could be wrong with your trees.
Thank you so much!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@petegreg , is this the growth you are talking about?

DSC05196-1.jpg

DSC05197-1.jpg

This type of growth is mostly leaf or is a form of leaf, it will fall off with the rest of the leaves in the fall. I have a couple of times had a large one coming off the trunk make it till the next year.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@petegreg , is this the growth you are talking about?

View attachment 154607

View attachment 154609

This type of growth is mostly leaf or is a form of leaf, it will fall off with the rest of the leaves in the fall. I have a couple of times had a large one coming off the trunk make it till the next year.
Thanks, John. Hm, I'm probably blind or what, but cannot see any difference in foliage or how to distinguish these leaves. Maybe smaller leaves? Practice, practice and practice... I'll have to pay more attention how the tree looks in fall and in spring. And how it ramifies...
Downloaded the pictures, thank you.

Top Bottom