2018 - Beech Clump

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I listened to your advice, I borrowed a reciprocating saw and went back Saturday. It is a small saw and used 1 full battery and some of the spare, I would have never gotten this without it. When I got home I recharged the battery and cut the bottom, and potted it. I look forward to working with this.

Well, um you're probably not going to be working on this. That root reduction is a killer...American beech don't stand up very well to the drastic techniques used to collect bald cypress. I hope I'm wrong, but this one's probably a goner.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rockm,
I don't see what could have been done different... there were not many small roots to keep and I didn't think I was losing much with the cut I made... Live and Learn ....
I Hope you are wrong .. :confused:
Thanks for your input .....

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
queenofsheba52, it had a few leaves this summer, but they were what was already on the small twigs when I collected it. They stayed to summer but nothing new came out, I continued to water and monitor as if it was alive and will see what happens this spring ... honestly I don't think it made it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Zack Smith is often quite brutal with reducing root systems and has good success collecting deciduous trees.. Though he is not collecting the same species. Beech are tricky. Hornbeam is also a little touchy, but not as difficult to collect as beech. Generally for trees like elm, where they are known for re-establishing root systems fairly easily, the aggressive cut back should have been okay, or "touch and go" but with a better than 50:50 survival rate. For beech that was probably too few in the root department.

Top Bottom