#2 New JerseyBlueberry Yamadori

Basically everything that I have had made it and I had everything in the cold snow this winter !
I think it was the late frost and snow we had last week that did in the last couple. Froze the buds just as they were opening and the fall collections didn't have the strength to push through. I'm changing up my strategy with all my trees this winter I think

I think it was the late frost and snow we had last week that did in the last couple. Froze the buds just as they were opening and the fall collections didn't have the strength to push through. I'm changing up my strategy with all my trees this winter I think
Yeah that really sucks . We also had a very late last frost that happened but I guess my buds haven’t fully popped when it happened.

B73C9217-7132-4918-824F-A8C3F345C6A8.jpeg
@Leo in N E Illinois

It’s been growing great but there is some bigger shoots that aren’t useful and taking up energy. This was only collected this year so I don’t know if I can cut it . I’m tagging Leo to see his opinion but I’m open to anyones . Should I cut the shoots that I don’t need now ?

You have active growth on the parts you want to keep? If yes, most likely is safe to remove unwanted shoots and branches. It looks safe from the photo.

Blueberry has a tendency to abandon older branches (trunks) in favor of unbranched younger shoots. This is how a blueberry bush, renews itself and why they are bushes in nature rather than trees. To keep older branches healthy, remove young, unbranched shoots, especially shoots directly from the root system. Do plan an eventual succession for branches or trunks. I don't know how long a single trunk can be maintained, but 40 years is possible. I have cut out 40 year old trunks from bushes, in pruning for fruit production. To keep an older trunk, get rid of the "suckers" from the roots.

Keep in mind, for blueberry the long lived part is the root system. A blueberry field can be productive for 100 years. But pruning for fruit production means most wood will be between 4 to 10 years old. Trunks older than 10 years yield less fruit, by weight. So pruning for fruit encourages new shoots from roots to replace old trunks in a regular succession.

I was just wondering where you went!
After I lost many of my trees(sticks in pots) and one good tree from leaving to go to Montana I just have been so discouraged with bonsai. I still come on here and even talked to a few members for advice. I also started a fly fishing blog and have been busy writing whenever I can

After I lost many of my trees(sticks in pots) and one good tree from leaving to go to Montana I just have been so discouraged with bonsai. I still come on here and even talked to a few members for advice. I also started a fly fishing blog and have been busy writing whenever I can
Sorry to hear that. We all have our losses, and they're never pleasant, but I wouldn't give up. You still have a few, and there are more out there.

Hey Njyamadori,
I really enjoyed following your progression with bonsai. Are you still growing some trees?
Hope to see you around posting moving forward!

Hey Njyamadori,
I really enjoyed following your progression with bonsai. Are you still growing some trees?
Hope to see you around posting moving forward!
Yes I am, still growing trees and will always be growing trees. I haven’t been posting content or reading content on bonsainut for a few reasons. I will probably continue to update this thread and possibly start a few more.

A week ago, I did a purposeful reduction of my collection. I’m keeping this tree, 5 younger Shimpakus, 2 starters from Bjorn, a collected common juniper, and about 20 Beautyberry cuttings that I will be focusing on.

I realized that it’s not worth it for me to have many sticks in pots. I still will buy pre bonsai but stuff that I believe in. Material that I will want to keep for at least 30 more years. I am not talented at bonsai and I would rather be talented at something else to get money to support this hobby. I don’t care anymore at getting food at starting little sticks but I do want to get decent at basic design and long term development.

I wouldn’t be surprised if next year I buy a few decent trees and really get back into bonsai again like I used to. I’m 16 now and I always have big aspirations to do something big. Right now I’m only focusing on building a decent physique and an online business. Once I have something going for me I will then have the money to buy the material that I want.

I was just wondering where you went!
😯 Dude, you're not dead! AWESOME!
I was wondering where you've been.
There’s a common theme on this thread. I have a lot of work to do this Saturday so I will be posting a lot. Also I will be updating this until I no longer have it.

IMG_3820.jpeg
Repotted and cut off the long unnecessary shoots. Just planning for a great growth spurt this summer and then things should be coming along. The most right branch will probably be made into deadwood and the second to the right will be used as the right branch.

Back
Top Bottom