1st Juniper Yamadori -- thoughts on design?

I_I_am_not_a_cat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I collected this in early May and have watched as the main trunk has died back but the lowest branch is still alive. Today I decided to remove the majority of the dead needles so I could get a better indication of what was happening and I think that it may actually be a separate tree that was growing in the same crack in the rock and grew from under one of the roots (root over tree??) or maybe it is 3 trees all growing close together.

Looking for thoughts on design, even though I am not planning on doing any more work to this until next year.

Here it is just after being collected and planted into a box.
Collected early May 2024.jpeg

And here it is today--I had already started removing needles when I realized I needed a before pic:
IMG_6673.jpeg

As it is now:
IMG_6677.jpeg
A couple of close ups of the base where you can see that it might be
IMG_6678.jpeg

IMG_6679.jpeg

What made you decide to remove all the foliage from almost all the branches instead of only removing a certain number of branches?

Before thinking about style, keep it alive for at least two more years. It’s very unhealthy as is, to the point where I would want to consult with someone local about what needs to be adjusted to keep it alive.
2 more years...well I guess I have other trees in the meantime. This was my first try at collecting a juniper and I was sort of surprised any of it survived. I still want to think about the design, even if I need to wait for it to recover.

What made you decide to remove all the foliage from almost all the branches instead of only removing a certain number of branches?
All of the removed foliage was dead--all I had to do was lightly brush a branch for the needles to fall. I just wanted to see the bare bones before removing any branches. Perhaps it was a mistake--as this is my first Juniper, I am still learning.

Back
Top Bottom