11th floor JWPs

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Lovely trees! I especially like the upright one. May I ask where you got these from?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wired the second one today, opened up, removed few branches and few yellow needle bundles. This way for now...
View attachment 162344

HBR repot is planned for next spring, I'll start from front half to un-knit that braid of roots.
I doubt you’ll be unable to unknit them. Especially the larger ones. They’ll most likely split and break.

I’m not discouraging the HBR repot, just managing expectations. To fix it, keep the best radial roots, and completely remove the worst of the crossing roots. You might not be able to get them all. 3 or 4 years from now you can do that side again.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I doubt you’ll be unable to unknit them. Especially the larger ones. They’ll most likely split and break.

I’m not discouraging the HBR repot, just managing expectations. To fix it, keep the best radial roots, and completely remove the worst of the crossing roots. You might not be able to get them all. 3 or 4 years from now you can do that side again.
Thank you Adair, that's what I expect. The smaller one doesn't seem to have that problem. First I have to inspect how it looks under the soil. And how much time is needed between two HBR repots talking about JWP?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And for sure, thank you all for kind words.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Adair, that's what I expect. The smaller one doesn't seem to have that problem. First I have to inspect how it looks under the soil. And how much time is needed between two HBR repots talking about JWP?
They appear to be grafted on JBP roots. After the first HBR repot, if it’s growing well, you can do the next one the following year. If you want, you can wait a year.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They appear to be grafted on JBP roots. After the first HBR repot, if it’s growing well, you can do the next one the following year. If you want, you can wait a year.
Thank you for your response. Now it's easy to remember it, same like JBPs.:) Tried both with JBPs and they both are well. One HBR repotted twice in two years was just a little bit slower in responding, but at the end of season their summer needles and buds look developed equally.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These two little pines spent winter well, were following JBPs when moving in and out.
They were HBR repotted few weeks ago before the buds started to swell and look pretty happy, growing already.
...side by side picture:
JWP side by side 2018 2.jpg
Again, sorry for an evening picture under artificial lights, will have to manage my time better.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been waiting for a delivery of few tools that I need to work on these small trees for few weeks. The postman knocked on my door today... hmmm I'm sure the custom offrs do bonsai, lol.
Seriously, I had a fun doing fall works with new tools. Did some yellow needles removing, wired few secondary branches that were long enough to do it and I found and cleaned two Ys for now.
One more thing to post... in July I did some light pruning, I cut few branches that grew out of shape, cutting new shoots shorter leaving 5-8 bundles. The trees responded well. There are no new buds right on the cut edges, but every branch has some new buds close to the tips.
Next year I'll go different way, I'll play with them earlier, selective candle breaking it's called I think.
DSCF4757.jpg

Top Bottom