11th floor JWPs

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peter,

if you use sheep pellets, you probably have an organic something already.
Try and resist the urge to show off, ----training pots ----- and try to make the pines lush and healthy.
See you in late spring.
Good Day
Anthony

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Peter,

if you use sheep pellets, you probably have an organic something already.
Thanks Anthony, this is right what I 've forgotten to mention. That's why I don't want any other organic ingredients. I count with it and after sifting it's gone.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks good, that one you attached is not my tree:) I think about getting some worktable ála Green-T. I use only kitchen table when my wife is not looking. How do you like yours? It could be good enough with turntable.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks good, that one you attached is not my tree:) I think about getting some worktable ála Green-T. I use only kitchen table when my wife is not looking. How do you like yours? It could be good enough with turntable.
Ah yes, I see @Adair M posted the pic with the bike lift. I like it quite a bit, I was able to add a turntable to it which makes it great for wiring.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This little pine didn't spspent his cruel winter well, looked good till it was expected to come out of dormancy. The needles started yellowing/browning from the sheaths, I think it was freeze damage. Shuffling JBPs when it was too cold I somehow forgot to this one grafted.

I've cut and removed all dead needles, just few remained, some buds seems to be elongating. What would you say, can she get through it? Intended care - ffullhalf day sun and misting at least five times a day...
IMAG1138.jpg
IMAG1139.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, there's only hope. Do you think it should have been handled and protected like my JBPs in winter?
Maybe so, but they are supposed to be good down to about -30C (USDA zone 4b). AFIK, Slovakia is zone 5 or warmer.
What are the chances that the roots were too wet all winter? From the looks of things in your pic, I wouldn't expect this to have been a problem, but the tree is screaming 'ouch! my roots' to me.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe so, but they are supposed to be good down to about -30C (USDA zone 4b). AFIK, Slovakia is zone 5 or warmer.
What are the chances that the roots were too wet all winter? From the looks of things in your pic, I wouldn't expect this to have been a problem, but the tree is screaming 'ouch! my roots' to me.
It was it's third winter with the same care. But we had three weeks with temps down to -20℃. So it was more solid frozen than wet. We are zone 6A and I felt comfortable to do what I did, that's why I'm asking. Is there a difference in hardiness of JWP on own roots and JWP on JBP? I suppose this can be the cause.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was it's third winter with the same care. But we had three weeks with temps down to -20℃. So it was more solid frozen than wet. We are zone 6A and I felt comfortable to do what I did, that's why I'm asking. Is there a difference in hardiness of JWP on own roots and JWP on JBP? I suppose this can be the cause.
Roots are roots. JBP roots, regardless of the tree on top, are JBP roots.
Sorry, but with just a glance at the latest photo, I thought this tree was on its own roots.

Yes, I think you should have.

easy for me to say :(

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Roots are roots. JBP roots, regardless of the tree on top, are JBP roots.
Sorry, but with just a glance at the latest photo, I thought this tree was on its own roots.

Yes, I think you should have.

easy for me to say :(
Thanks Oso, we've got it. I appreciate it and feel guilty for the little pine. The rest of pines left on balcony - scots, mugo, nigra, cembra, peuce - is OK. And you wouldn't believe...one potted ginkgo.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Oso, we've got it. I appreciate it and feel guilty for the little pine. The rest of pines left on balcony - scots, mugo, nigra, cembra, peuce - is OK. And you wouldn't believe...one potted ginkgo.
Amazing!
But this JWP may still make it.

I cannot tell you how much guilt I've accumulated - and I don't have cold temps to blame! :(

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
R.I.P.

To heal my soul, two new are inbound... Expected in the evening, I might be caught with the parcel and slaughtered, that's why I'm posting now. Here they are, pics from eshop, one for shohin and one for something taller. If I survive, can I wire them now to open the interior?
JWP 2 2017 1 9 years, 25cm.jpg JWP 1 2017 110 years, 37cm.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
R.I.P.

To heal my soul, two new are inbound... Expected in the evening, I might be caught with the parcel and slaughtered, that's why I'm posting now. Here they are, pics from eshop, one for shohin and one for something taller. If I survive, can I wire them now to open the interior?
View attachment 145124 View attachment 145125
No. They should have new growth, and it's very fragile this time of year. Wait until September to wire and style.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No. They should have new growth, and it's very fragile this time of year. Wait until September to wire and style.
Thank you, will do. You are right, I haven't held them in my hands yet and am thinking about what kind of torture will follow.
In case of the smaller one, will wiring and height reduction be possible in one go in the fall?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you, will do. You are right, I haven't held them in my hands yet and am thinking about what kind of torture will follow.
In case of the smaller one, will wiring and height reduction be possible in one go in the fall?
Yes.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An evening report.

The trees are at home, wife is happy because I'm happy.

The measures stated on shop webpage were including pots...it means that one for shohin is only 17 cm tall.:) They both look strong and healthy. Only works I had to do - removing few yellow needles, romoving moss from the trunks and top of substrate. Now plenty of Sun... Oh and needles are
little bit different on each of them.

Top Bottom