WTB a Blue Atlas Cedar

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day. For many years I have desired to have a decent Blue Atlas Cedar having once seen a windswept one that really turned me on. Lately I saw picts of a marvelous cascade. I have turned down the ones I have seen offered because of grafts that were less than pleasing to me. I have some seedlings, but of course they have a long road ahead and the color is not as intense as the cultivars.
Anyone here have a suggestion of where to look. I would appreciate it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe worth putting up an "in search of" post on one of the facebook sales pages to get some hits. Ungrafted atlas cedars are very hard to find. and when found, are not cheap at all as you know i'm sure. Jim Gremel has or had some amazing atlas cedars but they come with a hefty price tag.

I picked up a grafted one from Ed Clark a few years ago. If i recall i put an "in search of" post up on bonsai sales page and he responded. I'm not crazy about the graft but it is what it is. Good Luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love Blue Atlas Cedar. Mine arrives March 11 (5-years age) from a local nursery. Living in the Mid-Atlantic region, mine comes from Maryland. Basically a straight/upright 3-4’ in height.

I have also seen the cascade style and it is stunning (National Bonsai/Penjin DC):
IMG_3196.jpeg

Source (from my online order):

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day. For many years I have desired to have a decent Blue Atlas Cedar having once seen a windswept one that really turned me on. Lately I saw picts of a marvelous cascade. I have turned down the ones I have seen offered because of grafts that were less than pleasing to me. I have some seedlings, but of course they have a long road ahead and the color is not as intense as the cultivars.
Have you looked around at some of the older N. Va. landscape nurseries, like Merrifield, Wolf Trap, etc.? You might also make some inquiries at California vendors. Jim Gremel for instance, has done significant work with them and has (*had--don't know if he's still at it) some spectacular (and pricey) field grown Blues. New England Bonsai Gardens has one (could be a graft), but for stupid money. Also might look on Ebay for them from some of the more reputable bonsai sellers there. I've seen them pop up occasionally.

Grafts, from what I have seen of them, are pretty common, though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you looked around at some of the older N. Va. landscape nurseries, like Merrifield, Wolf Trap, etc.?
I have not been down there for awhile, but it may come to that. Many years ago I was the supervisor for the tree section of the Original Merrifield Garden Center. I loved the job, and Bob Warhurst, the originator (RIP) was a wonderful man to work for. I left because my wife at the time nagged me about my commute to Merrifield from Front Royal every day. Life is what is because we are where we are, but I really loved that job and the people I worked with. I have had many many dreams where I found myself still working there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not been down there for awhile, but it may come to that. Many years ago I was the supervisor for the tree section of the Original Merrifield Garden Center. I loved the job, and Bob Warhurst, the originator (RIP) was a wonderful man to work for. I left because my wife at the time nagged me about my commute to Merrifield from Front Royal every day. Life is what is because we are where we are, but I really loved that job and the people I worked with. I have had many many dreams where I found myself still working there.
Merrifield can hide some pretty decent trees back in the rows. My go-to used to be Campbell & Ferarra's They moved from their old location to a new one. Just isn't the same. They'd been in that old spot on Little River Turnpike for decades. Had several huge mature bald cypress there. Betty's Azalea Ranch out on Lee Highway might be another place to sort through. Last time I was out there, they had plenty of promising stuff if you looked

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one... up for sale, its not grafted, did root work and re potted last year... email me at rouge_agent86@yahoo.com for more infor..

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
just check this morning, its a grafted one....here are some pics...

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 55

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I also dream of my previous nursery job. doesnt help that I had so many (only) bad jobs since then

jszg

Mame
Reaction score

Have you spoken with Ed Clark at Round Valley Nursery?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1710163460984.png

I recall this being around $100, maybe $125. Graft is an eyesore to me, not sure how it will look over time. Fitting though as my deck is just as ugly. :D

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 533095

I recall this being around $100, maybe $125. Graft is an eyesore to me, not sure how it will look over time. Fitting though as my deck is just as ugly. :D
I would drop $125 on this all day long. A search gives up no web site and I am about to give up. I'll post on FB and see what happens.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Blue Atlas Cedar. Mine arrives March 11 (5-years age) from a local nursery. Living in the Mid-Atlantic region, mine comes from Maryland. Basically a straight/upright 3-4’ in height.

I have also seen the cascade style and it is stunning (National Bonsai/Penjin DC):
View attachment 529672

Source (from my online order):
Did you receive your cedar?

Top Bottom