Watering globes for bonsai?

swiper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only been messing around with ficus benjamina and a failing zanthoxylum simulans indoors so far, but I've had a couple thoughts that I can't find info on.

Has anyone ever tried out watering bulbs for bonsai? Things like the image below.

I wonder if the slow drip into dry soil would be a good solution for when I have to travel, or even potentially for everyday use? Indoor and/or outdoors?

iu

With most modern bonsai soil compositions, I suspect this would empty pretty immediately. There is a lot of open air space in bonsai soil, unlike a traditional potting soil you would pick up at the store. You could try it if you have trees in a traditional potting soil, or field soil that you dig up, but I would keep a close eye on it. I've never used one before so not sure how well they work even in the most ideal of conditions. They look like they don't hold much water, so I'm not sure how much effort is actually being saved even if they work perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't think these would be a good idea. In the Bonsai container, you want to really saturate the soil, then let it dry out. I think these would un evenly distribute water and keep the soil wet for too long. Also, less control in general and possibility of failure.

Thanks for the replies! It makes sense that they would just empty out. Maybe if I come into possession of one, I'll stick it in an extra pot with bonsai soil and see what happens to see for certain. Not gonna run out and buy one, though!

Back
Top Bottom