Three Point Display Question

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you plan to tidy up the foliage of the juniper? At a minimum, clean up the undersides and the weak straggly growth outside the profile. The rectangle stand is better than the round, but it’s still too big.

Yes, as soon as my two year old goes down for a nap! ?

Daddy needs some playtime too!!!

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It wasn’t the size of the trees, they’re the right size for a 3 Point, it was just the repetition of the rounds.

I will have to say, good for you for trying to learn Display! Not only will you begin to pick up on thing anout “Display”, but participating in shows will expose you to better trees, which you can learn from, and meet other people who live bonsai. Other than a few jerks like me, most people in bonsai are very friendly and helpful. They’ll share resources and techniques, and helpful tips. Just like @MACH5 did on the National Shohin thread did when he warned everyone to limit me to one drink!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It wasn’t the size of the trees, they’re the right size for a 3 Point, it was just the repetition of the rounds.

I will have to say, good for you for trying to learn Display! Not only will you begin to pick up on thing anout “Display”, but participating in shows will expose you to better trees, which you can learn from, and meet other people who live bonsai. Other than a few jerks like me, most people in bonsai are very friendly and helpful. They’ll share resources and techniques, and helpful tips. Just like @MACH5 did on the National Shohin thread did when he warned everyone to limit me to one drink!

Haha! Thanks!!! My little guy gave me a break, so the “pads” are getting tidier...

Attachments

• FADBE72C-44E6-43F3-B322-F692727C76A3.jpeg
    FADBE72C-44E6-43F3-B322-F692727C76A3.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 55

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha! Thanks!!! My little guy gave me a break, so the “pads” are getting tidier...
I know your tree isn’t as refined as the example I’m posting here, but this is the effect you should be striving for:

89507591-8E28-4026-89DF-5A23CCCC0566.jpeg

I cleaned this one up a bit yesterday in prep for the National Shohin Show. But, see how there are no hanging needles? You can see the brown twigs below the pads (the supporting structure), and all the green is on top. I trimmed back the runners so they would be back within the profile. But didn’t pinch anything.

I’ll do it again just before the show at the end of the month.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The show was a lot of fun yesterday, and very enlightening! It was great seeing the work of people more advanced in the hobby up close. This will serve as a goal to aspire to in the future with my own trees.

The highlight of the day was when I went to submit my vote for People’s Choice, and I saw the #25 looking up at me. The fact that out of all of the beautiful trees, at least one person like mine the best meant the world to me!!!

Practice and Patience!

Attachments

• 1E165871-97E6-4B91-A7FE-59D5DDE5F006.jpeg
    1E165871-97E6-4B91-A7FE-59D5DDE5F006.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 45

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The show was a lot of fun yesterday, and very enlightening! It was great seeing the work of people more advanced in the hobby up close. This will serve as a goal to aspire to in the future with my own trees.

The highlight of the day was when I went to submit my vote for People’s Choice, and I saw the #25 looking up at me. The fact that out of all of the beautiful trees, at least one person like mine the best meant the world to me!!!

Practice and Patience!
For this display, since the tree is planted so far to the left, and the strong deadwood moves forcefully to the right, I would have placed the scroll on the right of the tree, and the accent on the right side, too. I like how the tree overlaps the scroll a little. That tells me that the the tree is the featured element of the display.

Top Bottom