Suitable trees for bonsai in Bellingham, WA ???

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a friend who used to mess with bonsai when he was in Sacramento.
I was emailing him about bonsai and he said it wasn't sunny enough in Bellingham.

I think he's wrong. I can't imagine any place south of the arctic where SOME bonsai wouldn't thrive.

Any suggestions?

:confused:

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whatever grows there ought to be a good choice if its got the right features. Like backbudding and cool trunk/nebari. I try to use local natives when possible. Surely there are species that will work near you. Pines maybe or juniper?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Global warming will solve it, so just wait few years. :)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I assuming he means not very warm when he says not sunny enough. I looked up the temperatures averages on Wikipedia. I bet Scots pine and Amur maple would do well there.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I sent him the link to this thread.
I don't think he's serious.

Some people just don't want to bother with the art of repotting, root pruning, worrying about climate, scale, bud pinching, grafting, soil amending, pot oiling, over/under watering, leaf mold, needle cast, backbudding, aphids, wiring, rewiring, pH, sun or shade, candle cutting, defoliating, root rot, mycorrizhae, or Mike Corazzi and all that fun I guess.

:confused:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some people just don't want to bother with the art of repotting, root pruning, worrying about climate, scale, bud pinching, grafting, soil amending, pot oiling, over/under watering, leaf mold, needle cast, backbudding, aphids, wiring, rewiring, pH, sun or shade, candle cutting, defoliating, root rot, mycorrizhae, or Mike Corazzi and all that fun I guess.
Gee, i can't see why someone wouldn't like all that. :p

dobharchu

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lived in B'ham for a while, the sun shines plenty there!!!--for natives, look for Douglas Hawthorn, Vine Maple, Doug Fir, Alpine Fir, Western/Water Birch, Western Larch, Bitter Cherry, Western Azalea, Huckleberry, etc. I think most of the popular Japanese species do fine there, I had a satsuki azalea and japanese maples both were fine.

Top Bottom