Sick very large juniper HELP

tory2

Seedling
Reaction score
Could someone Help me with the situation ? I have a very Large juniper tree The inside leaves near the center attorney yellow-brown, I put a piece of paper under one of the leaves and did see tiny black dots moving I heard they may be spider mites Is there any way of treating them other than using a strong pesticide I'm afraid of hurting the tree more I've had this treat for many many years it's bigger than my house and I don't want it to die does anybody have any suggestions. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230613_091421.jpg
    20230613_091421.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 107
Two questions,
1. Where are you in the world?
2. Is that in a pot or in the ground. If it's in the ground, then we might not have an answer on a tree that big.

I think you could do no harm giving it a drench with something like this: mix with water, an soak the base/ground E0676513-5B8D-44E1-94E7-B2564BE138C8.jpgperhaps you will target in on the problem, but in the meantime, this could help.

You need a miticide, many standard insecticides have little effect as they are a different kind of creature, they are arachnids. What is available in your area will vary, some countries have fewer options. It won't harm the tree at all, could harm other insects, spiders, bees etc though so spray cautiously late in the evening ideally. Abamectin is one effective chemical, unless spidermites have become resistant in your area.

Bayer Tree and Shrub doesn't treat for spider mites. The active ingredient actually makes spider mites worse. Like SgtPilko said, you need a miticide.

I think you could do no harm giving it a drench with something like this: mix with water, an soak the base/ground View attachment 493737perhaps you will target in on the problem, but in the meantime, this could help.
Thank you for answering me I will try that, I really love this tree and would be devastated if it died

You need a miticide, many standard insecticides have little effect as they are a different kind of creature, they are arachnids. What is available in your area will vary, some countries have fewer options. It won't harm the tree at all, could harm other insects, spiders, bees etc though so spray cautiously late in the evening ideally. Abamectin is one effective chemical, unless spidermites have become resistant in your area.
Thank you for your help/ advise I live in Brooklyn NY ( a tree grows in Brooklyn) lol! I will try a mitacide as long as I know now that it won't hurt the tree. I hope it's not too late.🤞I really love this tree! It's about 40 ft tall beautiful. Thanks again!

Bayer Tree and Shrub doesn't treat for spider mites. The active ingredient actually makes spider mites worse. Like SgtPilko said, you need a miticide.

Oh ok! Thanks I won't use that. Much appreciate your help!

You find out if they are indeed spider mites?

be careful with these kinds of systemics, you can end up with crippling rebound infestations of spider mites.

Opt for something more professional, meant for nursery trade.

To add, because I had an odd infestation of early spring spider mites, I did some research and digging on a systemic rose 3 in 1 by bioadvanced that I used last year to help with aphids and control fungus.

It turns out that one of the active ingredients, imidacloprid, actually supercharges the fecundity of specific types of spider mites, boxwood mites and a few others if i remember correctly. I made my last application on a few adeniums and a crepe myrtle in the ground that was plagued with aphids. It took care of the aphids by now, but in exchange I got mites on a lot of my trees, and the ones that I recently repotted (my bucida trio) got HAMMERED with what appeared to be boxwood mites (yellow orange spotting followed by full yellow and leaf drop, webbing).

@tory2 look up posts made by @Leo in N E Illinois using the search function , aka the professor. He has an encyclopedic knowledge on fertilizers and pest treatments and what would be the right miticide in your case. Most often, the kind of stuff you find at home depot isn't going to do the trick. Use a professional product as indicated that wont have unintended consequences AND will actually solve your problem.

I’ve read the same. Some insecticides can speed up egg laying/reproduction. To make matters worse, spraying insecticides, can kill off any natural (insect) predators of spider mites, making re-infestations more likely.

To add, because I had an odd infestation of early spring spider mites, I did some research and digging on a systemic rose 3 in 1 by bioadvanced that I used last year to help with aphids and control fungus.

It turns out that one of the active ingredients, imidacloprid, actually supercharges the fecundity of specific types of spider mites, boxwood mites and a few others if i remember correctly. I made my last application on a few adeniums and a crepe myrtle in the ground that was plagued with aphids. It took care of the aphids by now, but in exchange I got mites on a lot of my trees, and the ones that I recently repotted (my bucida trio) got HAMMERED with what appeared to be boxwood mites (yellow orange spotting followed by full yellow and leaf drop, webbing).

@tory2 look up posts made by @Leo in N E Illinois using the search function , aka the professor. He has an encyclopedic knowledge on fertilizers and pest treatments and what would be the right miticide in your case. Most often, the kind of stuff you find at home depot isn't going to do the trick. Use a professional product as indicated that wont have unintended consequences AND will actually solve your problem.

Thanks I will definitely look into the correct miticide, I was advised by someone at Global Gardens to use an electrostatic sprayer to add treatment/miticide called Azapro with recommended dilutions and spray the tree with that and add Crop Defender to the soil 🤷‍♀️ It's just the tree is so large I need to get up in a very very high ladder to spray it!! So I have to be careful and I'll kill myself😬🤣 Thanks much for your help!

Thank you for your help/ advise I live in Brooklyn NY ( a tree grows in Brooklyn) lol! I will try a mitacide as long as I know now that it won't hurt the tree. I hope it's not too late.🤞I really love this tree! It's about 40 ft tall beautiful. Thanks again!

Since this is a large plant in the landscape, I would call a professional.

If this tree is worth that much to you it will be worth paying for a professional.
They should be able to identify what the problem is without guessing.

A good company will have technicians with a pesticide applicator's licenses who can apply things that are banned for purchase by regular home owners and they have the equipment to do it safely.

Back
Top Bottom