Prostrata

Nice to see work being done on prostrata.
I use them all the time, they make good material. Also, nice to see material he has worked on in the early stages of development. I think the disconnect is often lost seeing that most of the images of trees we see him working on have already had years of development.

Last edited:
Nice to see work being done on prostrata.
I use them all the time, they make good material. Also, nice to see material he has worked on in the early stages of development. I think the disconnect is often lost seeing that most of the images of trees we see him working on have already had years of development.

Thanks. And what you say is true. I think that disconnect often encourages people to use techniques meant for refined bonsai on trees in development.

Scott

Great material and wonderful first styling. I assume you'll be working/expanding/refining the shari over time? Also, do you envision hanging on to that lowest right branch or eventually removing it? Thanks for the pictures.

Great material and wonderful first styling. I assume you'll be working/expanding/refining the shari over time? Also, do you envision hanging on to that lowest right branch or eventually removing it? Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks Dav4. I do intend on expanding the shari over time. Trying to be conservative with that for the first styling.

The lower branch is a styling challenge. The shape of the trunk suggests a primary in the direction of the lean. Removing it would leave the first branch on the left. Perhaps removing both and lowering/extending one of the upper branches on the right?

Scott

Keep the lower right branch. At least for now. I agree that if you remove it, the first lower left would have to go, too.

Yep that's where we ended up too. Probably cut off enough for now anyway. Thanks Adair.

Scott

Time to repot. Tree is in a nursery mix and the nebari is buried.

image.jpeg

First, uncover the nebari and then cut the bottom of the rootball flat with the new planting angle.

image.jpeg

Scott

Next, reduce the base of the rootball, and bareroot about 1/3. Then work the sides, ensuring that roots stick out into the fresh soil. I use a single roothook to remove the bulk of the soil and then bent tweezers to really dig out the remaining potting soil.

image.jpeg

When you're done, the rootball looks like this:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wash the bare root part clean with a hose. Then, into the grow box.

image.jpeg

Scott

To judge when to repot on junipers, look at the growth - if it's still in fall color, it's too early for repotting. If it's started to green up, it's the perfect time. If the tips are starting to move, it's a little late. If the shoots are extending, it's way too late.

Here are the tips on my Prostrata.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

My tips are just green. A little late, but still ok.

Scott

Unfortunately, I have no Ume. Do you think crape myrtle will work just as well?

S

Back
Top Bottom