New Japanese Maple Seedling

DaManley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone,

So I got this Japanese Maple a couple of weeks ago. It is doing well so far. I have it outside where it can get light. I am curious though about trimming or anything like that. Should I leave it like it is for now? I'm trying to learn where I can about Japanese Maple seedling care. Especially during different seasons.

If anybody has suggestions of detailed readings I could go over that would be great.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC06673.JPG
    DSC06673.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06669.JPG
    DSC06669.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06672.JPG
    DSC06672.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 24
I would just let it grow. With organic soil like you have over watering can be a big problem. Make sure you only water when the tree needs it. When it is dry an inch or so under the soil only then water.

You can look at wiring some movement into the trunk. Or you can plan on that movement on eventual cut backs over years. Bonsai4me.com and evergreengardenworks.com have some good basic development articles. For the most part your job is to let it grow and keep it healthy. Think of the eventual tree size you want look at the lowest node above the base. This will be the lowest place you can have a branch unless you graft one on.

Last edited:
The short answer is let it grow for now. The longer answer involves having some idea of what you want the “finished” tree to look like and then deciding on a path to get there. Next spring, repot the tree into better soil and set the roots radially. I would recommend Meriggioli’s book on Japanese maples for all the info you could ever want on developing these.

Back
Top Bottom