New compound to help hard to root cuttings?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Only a few species listed here (apple being included).

"One of the long-standing hurdles in agriculture and horticulture has been the propagation of valuable woody plants. These plants often resist rooting from stem cuttings, a key step in clonal (vegetative) propagation. This challenge is particularly pronounced in recalcitrant woody species, notoriously difficult to coax into forming new roots."

"This synthetic auxin, named 4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid–L-tryptophan-OMe, demonstrates remarkable effectiveness in inducing root formation in species that traditionally resist rooting, such as Eucalyptus grandis, apple, and argan trees."

Move over clonex, is there a new chemical in town?

I wonder if this could be effective on really difficult subjects like oak.

Just though it was interesting.

Move over clonex, is there a new chemical in town?
There is nothing special about Clonex. It is simply a branded version of 0.3% IBA, which is the same strength as Hormex 3. Different plants respond to different strengths of artificial rooting hormones so "more" is not always "better" and can, in fact, be detrimental to your rooting attempts.

The interesting difference with this potentially new product is the way the artificial auxin is delivered:

The efficiency of this synthetic auxin apparently lies in its slow-release mechanism. Unlike its natural counterparts, which are rapidly metabolized and cleared from plant tissues, this synthetic variant ensures a prolonged presence within the plant, maintaining a consistent stimulatory signal for root formation. This slow and steady release not only maximizes the auxin’s availability but also minimizes any potential stress or toxicity to the plant, fostering a conducive environment for root development.

Sounds interesting!

This is intriguing. Any idea where you can find it?

I think it's a "simple" redesign of the 2,4-D compound, using the chlorophenoxyacetic acid, and coupling it with L-tryptophan and methanol(?).

My memory on auxins is rusty, but I think the chemical mentioned here uses the tryptophan as an easy accessible carrier, methanol as a solvent and the chlorophenoxyacetic acid as an auxin alternative. Cool!

Will it be the be-all-end-all? I believe not. IAA, IBA, NAA, 2,4-D were all claimed to be game changers but in the end they've been proven to be very effective in a limited amount of plant species.

Back
Top Bottom