Need some advice on this Shimpaku

beaverjc

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all...I just purchased this shimpaku on the clearance rack and would love to bring it back to something to be proud of. Any thoughts on how I should style this. I look at it and seem overwhelmed....

Attachments

• Bush.jpg
    Bush.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image_67207169.JPG
    image_67207169.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 119

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Where do you live?
Is this your first Juniper?

It looks a bit leggy so I would try to compact the tree.
Instead of cutting off branches you could try to airlayer some of it off next spring to start new trees with that also.

beaverjc

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you live?
Is this your first Juniper?

It looks a bit leggy so I would try to compact the tree.
Instead of cutting off branches you could try to airlayer some of it off next spring to start new trees with that also.
This isnt my first juniper but this is my largest one that seems a bit out of control. I have a few junipers I started from scratch. I live in New England - zone 6. I was contemplating adding some shari and deadwood to one side an trimming as you mentioned. Its going to be a few year process but I was just overwhelmed a bit as this one is more mature and overgrown than what I have been working with.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut! …and you are bringing a fun to work on tree too! Well Done!

Anyways you came to the right place, there are many juniper folks in the forum.

Concur with @ShimpakuBonsai … the tree likely might to be pushed back.… a good deal and reduced on top too to get you started.

Here’s a couple ideas.

a. Go for the easy push backs now. (If in doubt, don’t cut!) Leave all far interior foliage, buds etc. Keep things balanced. Do not clean the crotches. Hope for the future.

b. Also likely the top might be reduced as there are a couple thicker branches in the top that look not so good… in fact the top 8-12” (don’t see any thing to scale with) could be cut back to gain some taper, wiring up one of the plentiful branches there. I see a likely one up in the posted images.

c. Next wire the tree and spread out the branches so each gets its own space, move these down (up at the tips) to get maximum bud back.

d. You didn’t say when the last time the tree was repotted. imho opinion to do the work needed the tree should be repotted in Spring to a larger pot (no root cut back unless there are diseased roots) to help push the roots and spur the growth needed. Not uber large pot though…. I’m sure others here will help with this part. Maybe start 1” around.

e. Feed appropriately and wait until next fall.

f. In the interim. Study up on juniper horticulture and styling as much as possible. Also see if there is a nearby bonsai club. If so, join it. It will be another good source of help.

Don’t see your USDA zone and more specific approximate location on your Icon. Its in the thread instead. Please click on your icon atop the page, then on account details, scroll down and enter these data.

Welcome aboard once again!

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If it were my tree (not an expert), I'd be looking to chop this tree in half! It might sound radical but I see two great trees in there.

The top half could form a lovely elegant literati/bunjin if an airlayer takes (I've had airlayer success in junipers, just never tried a trunk that thick).

And as for the lower half, post-chop and after careful chasing back of foliage/compacting branches you'll have an incredibly powerfully-trunked shohin with plenty of options for shari/jin/deadwood.

Obviously, and especially as it's a juniper, works needs to be considered and staged slowly.

beaverjc

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsaibfandaft.jpg
I ended up doing some pruning to thin it out and added some shari and jin along with some initial wiring as a first step. I am now going to let it rest up and recover until next year and then re-evaluate and maybe start an air layer experiment. The top of the tree bends away from the front so not sure what to do with that. One thought was to get real creative and make one side all deadwood....long term ideas...

Top Bottom